• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Plexiglass Watercooling Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ange062

Registered
I built this over xmas.

Specs:

Swiftech MCW5000-p, MCW50
Eheim 1250
10.75 x 6.5 x 2 heatercore
1/2" id tubing
2 x 120mm 130cfm ystech's on a rheostat

mini-DSCN0479.JPG

mini-DSCN0481.JPG

mini-DSCN0482.JPG

mini-DSCN0486.JPG

mini-DSCN0489.JPG

mini-DSCN0490.JPG

Really nice job. I considered a similar approach as I have same case and space is limited. What are those fittings you have for IN/OUT on the res? How are they attached? How thick is the plexi? Specially the piece with the fittings. Are those cubes threaded attachng it to bottom of the case? Which glue did you use, the thich IP Weld-On or the thin capillary glue? How about a pic of the inside of the case showing the bottom where tubing and such goes thru? Are ya gonna put any lighting in the bottom?

OK, I'll stop grilling you, it's just that I'm really interested in this and did a lot of thinking/planning about it and just wondering how you went about it. So the more details you can supply, the better.

peace.
unloaded

Liss said:
iv'e seen this like so many times at [H]..
but good job nonetheless :)

Hehe, ive gotta show off my work, im proud of it!! :D Most of the people over here dont come over to [H] too much anyway.

UnLoadeD said:
Really nice job. I considered a similar approach as I have same case and space is limited. What are those fittings you have for IN/OUT on the res? How are they attached? How thick is the plexi? Specially the piece with the fittings. Are those cubes threaded attachng it to bottom of the case? Which glue did you use, the thich IP Weld-On or the thin capillary glue? How about a pic of the inside of the case showing the bottom where tubing and such goes thru? Are ya gonna put any lighting in the bottom?

Fitting on the res are 1/2' nylon hose barbs that i cut the threded part off of, so its just the barb itself glued in with marine goop. The plexi is 1/4".

There are 1/4-20 screws that go through the bottom of the lian li, through the top of the plexi, and thread into the acrylic cubes.

I used IPS weld-on #4 (it is a thin capillary glue).

Ill take a webcam pic of the bottom of the case to show you, ill post soon.

I plan on lighting the bottom, i just cant make up my mind how. Its either led's placed at certain points for cool internal reflection lighting effects (hard way) or a blue ccfl running along the top of the plexi case (easy way).

Wow, quick reply. Did ya use plumbers goop on all the joints in the res or is the capillary joint water tight once its cured? Thats a big question I've had and haven't done any testing yet. For lighting I'd suggest leds. 3mm ones can be placed in holes drilling in the edges of 1/4" plexi and you get a really nice glowing effect from all the edges. It would be a bit more work, but IMHO would be worth it. Cheap 3mm ones can be had at www.eled.com the site doesn't seem very user freindly, but their prices and selection are hard to beat. Also pay close attention to the price breaks, most of the time its cheaper to get 10 than just 4-5 of them.

peace.
unloaded

The pics you wanted:

ANge062-Hose Back.jpg

Ange062-Hose Front.jpg

The screw hole i drilled in the front:
ANge062-screw front.jpg

I expanded the hole that already existed from the rubber pads that came with the case in the rear using a dremel and a grinding bit.

Ange062-Screw Side.jpg

the ips weldon makes a watertight seal, but i still used marine goop in on the edges of the res because i wasnt aware that the ips stuff made a watertight bond (plus i didnt wanna take any chances).

thats kewl. I want to do something like that on my next computer, but it might make a Lian-Li PC-70 a little too tall

ahh that looks very good. makes me want to start my setup all over again. :D

MEAT BAG said:
thats kewl. I want to do something like that on my next computer, but it might make a Lian-Li PC-70 a little too tall

Sheet, with a pc-70 you shouldnt even need a setup like that. There is plenty of room to mount stuff in that case if you get creative with the cutting.

U could also try laying the heatercore flat instead of on its side like mine. That would decrease the heighth to around only 4" or so. Just have the fans blowing out the bottom (lifted on some blocks or something) and intakes on the sides. I was thinkin about doing something like that, but i had already planned everything out for the way i have it.

ahh that looks very good. makes me want to start my setup all over again.

What kinda setup are you workin on?

Nice case. i was planning on doing the same over here too.
cause my case aint big enought to have a nice WC system really tidy.
i dont like thing done half the way.

hope i can finish modding my case and start working on the WC.

cool, how thick plexi did you use? how do you fill it up? what did you use to glue the plexi togeather?

I want to do something similar, have a seperate box beside my comp for my rad and pump and fans made out of plexi but not underneath.

Looking very nice indeed mate. I thought about doing something like that myself... although I'd suggest a few things :

1) I'd make a shroud for the rad so all the air HAS to go through it.
2) I'd have put the rad the other way up so that the outlet barb (the one at the highest point) would allow more air out for easier bleeding.
3) Reservoirs are more useful at the top of your system - air traps don't work so well at the bottom ;)

Not knocking your design - I think what you've done is schweet, but just a few ideas for you to think about...

seal said:
cool, how thick plexi did you use? how do you fill it up? what did you use to glue the plexi togeather?

I want to do something similar, have a seperate box beside my comp for my rad and pump and fans made out of plexi but not underneath.

1/4" cast polyacrylate. I filled it by pouring water in the res, it isnt permanantly sealed, you can access it by unscrewing and lifting the computer. I used IPS Weld-On #4, its a water consistency solvent type glue used for acrylics.

hey hows that waterblock work i was thinkin about buying one

It ownz, get it :)

1) I'd make a shroud for the rad so all the air HAS to go through it.
2) I'd have put the rad the other way up so that the outlet barb (the one at the highest point) would allow more air out for easier bleeding.
3) Reservoirs are more useful at the top of your system - air traps don't work so well at the bottom

I plan on building a shroud, i just havent got around to it yet. I havent had any problems bleeding the system, it took all of 4 minutes for the system to be completely bubble free.

put alight in the lower box

man, I'd do somethin like tthat, but I'm totally done on modding my comp and buying coolin, heck, I'm savin my money for lotr fotr dvd extended edition w00r w00r

Back