• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4PE - [email protected] (150fsb) not stable.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calavera

I've upped the vcore in the bios to 1.625 and yet in SiS sandra, it says the vcore is at 1.71. What gives?

I can run 3dmark2001se just fine, and have been playing games with it a little and no problems so far.

I tried burning it it with running Hot CPU tester but I got an error after ~20 mins. What should I do?

Also, my comp rebooted all of a sudden... it's not stable. I have a 430W Vantec stealth PSU. I don't think it's the psu's fault, although 12v readout is lower than I expected.

Any help would be appreciated.

I ran Asus probe and Motherboard Monitor on mine and also read 12V slightly low. I have heard reports that other people are finding that Asus probe was unreliable for voltage measurements as well as heat - but found both to be reporting exactly the same.
I have run fsb 150 on my system at stock voltage and it runs beautifully, although my mobo started to beep for a minute this morning, but could not find any reason for it. Which version of BIOS are you running - my board is v.1002 - I have heard there is a beta of v.1003 available but I haven't checked yet. What temps. was you CPU running at w/ burn in? Are you using stock Heatsink and fan?

I have not upgraded the BIOS at all...because I've heard of some issues with the new bios not being more stable.

According to SiS Sandra, the temps on the mobo is ~29 and cpu stays below 40.

I'm using an Alpha 8942 with a 80mm (~39CFM) fan on it.

I'll install mbm and try burn in and see what the temp on the CPU is.

This is really irritating since all I want is 3ghz flat. Nothing more..is that too much to ask? :p

Interesting....Thats a good heatsink and fan combo, temps dont really appear to be an issue. I had my system @ 159 fsb = 3.02Ghz stable w/ core @ 1.725 in BIOS, but have stopped running that due to excessive fan noise to keep CPU temp down (under 45C) fan speed of 6500 RPM.(Thermaltake Volcano 7+).
Hmmmm.... have you changed other settings for AGP, SDRAM Latencies, or any other voltages?

Trash80,

I just bought a P4PE and have not had a chance to set it up and play. I got a P4 2.8, 533.

Are you running the memory sync or async? If it is async, what is the multiplier?

Thanks for any info. I'm a FNG (F***ing New Guy) at this. :eek:

Sync.
We all started somewhere, not to say that I know all either.
I'm just wondering if other settings have been changed... set everything back to default or auto, then bump your fsb to 150 leaving everything else alone, then rerun tests. If your system is unstable afterthat then bump the core voltage bit by bit until stable - if still unstable there may be a flaw w/ your board.

oops forgot to mention that I have the corsair xms pc3200 cas2.5 running at 2-2-2-5. :p

Didn't think that'd make a big difference in the stability.
Where in the bios can yo set it to sync or async? I have not touched that part.

Man, the highest 3dmark2001se I got was 16160. I wish I could stay at 16k's all the time. Unfortunately it's been dropping and varying from 155xx to 159xx. :mad:

There isn't a specific "setting" for synchronous or async. When you bump your FSB and have DDR freq. at auto it runs sync.
If you switch to manual DDR freq. you have options. eg when I use fsb 150 I can run 400 mhz DDR as the highest option (async)
sync is the middle of your three choices.
I have Corsair DDR3200 cas2, I run 2-2-2-6. The CAS 2.5 may not like those settings, set them to By SPD and retest. You can try lowering them later slowly 2-2-2-5 may be aggressive. What video card do you have?

radeon 9700 pro set at 330/330 stock agp/pci settings.

Prime95 fails within 1 minute still. CPU at load does not exceet 45. Idle is around 38~42.

calavera:

i have the same setup as you. you may have to give a bit more voltage. for one of the 2.66Bs i had, i had to get to just over 1.75V for rock solid stability. your pc3200 should do just fine with those tight timings. of course, i have a watercooled setup so the highest temps i have ever seen were 45C @load.

No Problemo.....

The P4PE that I am setting up will be with:

Lian Li oversized with major air venting
Enermax 500+ Watt
P4PE, GB Lan etc.....
P4 2.8, 533
Thermaltake P4 SPARK 7
ARCTIC SILVER 3
Cair XMS 3500, 1 X 512MB with Platinum Sink
Radeon 9500 Pro not OC Yet, Warp11 Rocks!
ADAPTEC 29160 U160 LVD
1 - 40 GB SCSI IBM, 1 - 10GB partition XP Pro, 1 - 30 GB Partition Storage
3 - 4 GB SCSI IBM RAID non-parity 12GB, Apps and Pagefile
Audigy MP3
Boston 4.1 Spkrs

I am trying to get an idea for OC FSB ratio to memory.
In a review I read on Hardocp, they said they could not OC the FSB and run async ( www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzY3 ). The system would not boot. They were running XMS 3200. Don't remember the amount. The artical said they got the best performance from the default FSB and async. I am hoping that I can do better with the XMS 3500, OC the FSB and run the memory async.

Would be most excellent to have some starting ideas from your experience.

Thank you all for your insight and testing!

Dan

Calavera said:
radeon 9700 pro set at 330/330 stock agp/pci settings.

Prime95 fails within 1 minute still. CPU at load does not exceet 45. Idle is around 38~42.

What are you running in Prime95 - just stress test - or the full meal deal?
I'm running the stress test as I type this - max temp is 47C
I cannot run the full deal cause my routers' firewall & i'm too lazy to configure the ports.
What error do you get? Or does it just boot you out?

I'm running the torture test.

I lowered my mem settings to 2-2-2-6 and this time it crapped out on me after 43 min. It just stops after displaying that a hardware error has occured. The comp does not lock up, nor does boot me out. I can actually re-start the torture test immediately after I get the error message.

CPU at load is 48C --NEVER goes above 50C-- at 1.6 vcore. However, I should not have to up the vcore in the first place, do I?
I also do not want to raise vcore above 1.7 at all costs just because I don't feel it's safe.

So far, it seems as if the mem was partly responsible for a unstable system, but then again, it's a corsair xms pc3200 damnit! It should not hinder me from overclocking. :mad:

Here's my whole rig just in case:

P4 [email protected] (150fsb) Alpha 8942 + (~39CFM) fan
512mb Corsair XMS PC3200 (400Mhz)
ASUS P4PE (basic)
ATi Radeon 9700 Pro (330/330)
Audigy 2 (does it matter which PCI slot?)
WD SE 80gig HDD
420W Vantec "stealth (my *** :p)" PSU

Highest 3dmark2001SE so far : 16190.

EDIT: Ran Prime95 successfully for 1hour 20mins with the above setup. Something's wrong here.:( But it's improving.

Last edited:
OK, here are my settings to the last detail. This is my maximum to run Prime95 - any higher and I get fatal error: unable to read from temp file.

FSB 157 (2.98Ghz)
DDR 393
AGP in bios set to auto - controlled w/ rage3d tweaker in XP
GPU 371.3 Mhz mem 337.5 (=675)
CPU vcore - 1.675 in BIOS
Latency 2-2-2-6

Thats it. Note that vcore reads 1.675 in BIOS - in OS it will read over 1.7 when idle - under full load it'll settle to aroun 1.675.

This config should net me around 16500 3DMarks. Slower than previously recorded but I never ran Prime95 on that config.

PS - temps are getting up there- 52C at full load - using Thermaltake Volcano 7+.
Starting to look at water cooling....

try 2, 3, 3, 6 or 2,3,3,7 and 3/4 settings.....

you should be fine now.

let us know.

sorry if I missed somthing...I read everything real fast because I have to go now.

mica

The P4PE overclocks by default.. 1.525v equals 1.625v actual.. So you're running your chip at 1.725v actual... I thought you'd like to know..;)

holy vcore batman!
Was that a joke?

Although that does make sense. Whenever I have my vcore set to something, it is 0.1 higher in MBM5.

I agree with Mica to drop back your memory timings. I have XMS3500C2 and I can't use the 4:3 memory multiplier past 159FSB(unless I drop the timings back). And so far my best scores come when I go ahead with the 5:4 memory multilpier and keep the timings down. Unfortunately, the next lower step for you is the synchronous and that would be a pretty hefty drop in memory bandwidth.

Back