• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have sprung a leak

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

I'm lucky it didn't destroy anything and must have been minor, I speak in past-tense because I can't find the cause, though I suspect the pump's got a hairline fracture as I need to add an ounce of water weekly (where does it go? I don't know).

I could tell I had a serious leak this time because I use that green algae stuff in the water and the bottom of my case was stained green and my res was half empty. I was really lucky I was getting any waterflow whatsoever.

I hooked it all back up as part of my weekly maintenance and checked for leakes, wiggled the quick connected (pushed/pulled). Everything looks fine and I can't see any green evidence on any connections either.

Idears, comments?

I have an enheim pump, think it's a 1460... has some cracking around the bottom portion of the external casing (the pump seems to be working fine otherwise) which I just ended up breaking off.

Last edited:
I can't really comment on your situation without seeing some pics and never having owned an enheim pump. But you might try putting some dye-lite and a UV light in there. The stuff is actually made for finding leaks. Any leak should glow brightly even if its a crack in the black pump housing.

peace.
unloaded

I agree with UnLoadeD, using something that glows with UV light is the best course to take right now. When I got a leak in my system, thats the way that I found the leak and found it near the 1/2" outlet from the pump. Good luck and hope nothing else bad happens than what has already happened.

Thanks, that's good advice guys.

I checked it last night, nothing visibly leaking as of right now.

I was wondering, does leaving the PC on 24/7 increase the odds of a washer or seal leaking? It's probably no coincidence I had this PC on 24/7 for the week prior.

i think that it is the sudden increas in pressure that causes leaks, ie if you power it on and it does not leak, if nothing happens to it it should not start to leak. also i have had problems with the quick connects leaking in the past, and replaced them all in my system with barbs, so that i could put on hose clamps, and now i do not have a leeking problem. but this is just my 2 cents.

dagamore said:
also i have had problems with the quick connects leaking in the past, and replaced them all in my system with barbs, so that i could put on hose clamps, and now i do not have a leeking problem. but this is just my 2 cents.

I'll look at that, I have 4 90 degree angle connectors and 3 more (2 on the water block and 1 on the pump) to contend with... that is a possibility.

Back