• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Async vs Sync...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pirate252

In this thread i am refering to a NForce2 chipset, but you VIA users can probably still get what im tlaking about...

So ummm...running the FSB at 166 and the ram at async(125%) making the RAM run at 374 that would turn out less preformance than if i ran it sync (100%) on 166 and the ram would be running at 332 even with the same memory timings? still less preformance going async huh?

Thanks for your help

Matt

On my A7V333, there was never any performance difference whether running my RAM at a higher, async speed or a slower, synced speed. The limiting factor in the system was the FSB, so no matter what the RAM speed was, the CPU could only talk to the RAM at the FSB speed. Maybe the nForce is different somehow though, I don't know.

Ah well that does make sence, i dont see how it could gain preformance when the fsb was bottlenecking it, thanks it makes sence to me now.

Matt

Back