View Full Version : upgrade?
i have a tnt2 right now, but am thinking of upgrading. question is, with pIII~1000 will i get the performance out of say a gf4 ti 4200? also, is it worth the extra cash to spring for the 128mb card over 64mb? i will definately wait until the fx comes out so the prices should come down. thanks for any ideas...
Given your CPU speed a 4200 is about the best card you would want to get, you might even consider a radeon 8500. Any card faster then that and you will be really limited by the CPU and SDRAM so it wouldn't give you a whole lot more performance for the money you would be spending. Most people would reccomend at least a 1500mhz CPU to go along with these cards.
Whichever card you get you will be really impressed with after using that tnt2.
As for 64mb or 128mb, it really depends on when you plan to upgrade again. A few games today will use 64mb and soon some games will begin to use more. If you plan on using this card/system for a few more years then 128mb would be a good investment as it will allow you to play those upcoming games, if you plan on upgrading sometime soon then you wont need more then 64mb to play any current games
(note: even games that use 64mb dont require 64mb, it just allows you to use larger/more detailed textures. so games that use more then 64 will likely not require a 128mb card but with the extra ram you will be able to use the more detailed textures).
01-01-03, 01:24 AM
If your'e thinking Ti4200, stop now. It's an overpriced, underperforming R9500Pr0..
Why buy an overpriced, underperforming card? Go ahead and agrab an R9500PRO.....not only does it smoke the Ti4200, but the Ti4600 as well:drool:
01-01-03, 11:38 AM
its better to get 128 mb for high resolution gaming as your system is not great then its probably a waste but if theres only a few $ differance get 128
01-01-03, 12:56 PM
For your system, I think the Radeon 8500 is the best value. They can be had very cheap.
radeon 9000 is OK but it is not as fast as the 8500. I have heard ATi will be renaming the 8500 (calling it 9100) in the near future to reflect that.
he could go with a 9500 but with his cpu speed it will not perform much better then an 8500 or 4200 would, to use 3d mark as an example he may score 6000 with an 8500 and 7000 with a 9500 (considering the 9500pro is about $100 more then the 8500). That is hardly worth it in my opinion although the 9500 does fully support directX 9, that is the only selling point for me in this case (w/1ghz cpu).
01-01-03, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by logos
what about the r8500le?
depending upon what it is clocked at, it is better than a 9000Pro, the 8500LE has some good bang for the buck, check cyber deals, newegg has some refurbs for 50$!
my bx board only has a 2/3 multiplier, will the ati handle the high bus speeds? i am running my nvidia 1/1 at 150! i have found some deals on the 8500...also, i will be able to upgrade to a tualy, i anticipate running around 1300-1500 at 133-150 fsb.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.