• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1" threaded barbs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

athlonnerd

has anyone any bright ideas on how i can easily and accuratly insert a 5/8" barb, with 1" thread into a block of aluminum?
im making amongst other things, a water exchanger, adn my pump has 5/8" hose. i dont have drill bits that big, i do have a milling set up, i can mill like a .925" hole, and hope the brass thread self taps the hole. but the hole would not be very accurate. has anybody tried this yet?

Try messaging some of the hardware gurus around here. Maybe DodgeViper or Cathar?

mill out the hole with small bits.. and solder the barb on.......
the barb won't "self taps the hole" into the al........
i've tried.. lol

edit: or you can just buy new bits

dude, you should sEE the size of a 1 inch NPT tap, lol they're very expensize and hurt my toe when I dropped it on it... heh

have a fly cutter? have a adjustable boring thing?

if you can get it as close as possible,
file the threads off and drive it in with a hammer, than (assuming the barb is metal of some sort) then silicone it... as long as it has some resistence to coming out without the silicone

last time I checked, ALU was a ***** to solder lol

If you absolutly NEED it threaded, I've got the equipment Ibeleive...

Nick C said:
dude, you should sEE the size of a 1 inch NPT tap, lol they're very expensize and hurt my toe when I dropped it on it... heh

Yeah try about $40.00 and the bit(1-5/32") to make the hole would be even more. You would have to make BIG block to accomodate the holes. Hope you have alot of clearance from the caps around the socket on your MOBO. If you heart is set on 5/8" barbs use a 3/8"NPT.

Last edited:
yeah, im not dishing out 40 bux for tap ill use once, this thing aint going on no mobo, im using 2 pumps, one for the rad, adn one for the wb (im making a test bwed with cpu simulator, etc.) im making a big exchanger of fluid thingy to mix cooled water from rad with hot from wb. i think i might be able to force it in if i make the hole big enough, like 20% thread or so.

heh, yeah... I just htought about that!

dude, post pics. I gotta see this block if it's as big as it's seeming to be....

do remember, that even 1/2 inch ID hose will fit over 1/4 inch NPT nipples... (nippes are not barbs)

so, then a 1 inch NPT would probably be 1 1/4 inch OD...

it all goes by inner diamater I beleive....

Like I said if you have your heart set on using 5/8" barbs go with a 3/8" NPT tap thier around $10.00 and the bits around $20.00 that way you'll have an even bore though out the barb. Here is a good tap-n-drill chart.

nevermind..

I would have to agree with fragn' grab a 3/8npt drill and tap

Last edited:
1inch npt is like 1-1/4inches wide 3/8npt is about 5/8-3/4inch wide, much smaller

I reread your first post and it sounds like you already have the 5/8"x1"NPT barbs. Well, about the only thing you could do is take Liss' advice and mill out the hole with dremel or... and then solder the barb in.

just glue the barb with J B weld :)
I dont think you can solder aluminum ?
i know it can be welded with a mig or tig wellder
but theres no cooper in aluminum unlike brass which is a cooper alloy

Can you turn the npt size down (by turn I mean using a lathe/improvise)? If so, bore your .925 hole in the aluminum, and turn the barb down to .926 with a small chamfer.
Bake the aluminum at 200F and freeze the brass. Smear a tad of JBWeld on the brass when it's bitter cold and whack it into the hole. When the aluminum gets back to room temp, you won't be getting it out....ever.
If the aluminum's ID gets smaller when it gets hot, then freeze them both.

good idea, ill try that if what im about to try doesnt work. im thinking of cutting off the threaded portion, and using 4-40 hex capscrews or something, bolt the barb onto the aluminum, the nut part od the barb is big ehough to make tis possible i think. ill post pics in a sec.

Back