• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holy expensive fans Batman!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shroomer

member with no avatar
I'm planning a new case and cooling solution. Here is my list of fans for the chieftec Matrix that I plan to buy.

1 - 120mm - top blowhole
1 - 120mm - side blowhole over VGA
1 - 80mm - HDD cage
2 - 80mm - rear exhaust @ CPU
2 - 120mm - For radiator

All Vantec Stealth

TOTAL............. $94 without shipping!!!!

I was going to go with more powerful fans for the rad and get a Nexus until I saw how much all of this was going to be! I'm sure that this will perfom admirably. You think?

I just priced everything (with a few small exceptions) I need.

ToTal: 344.89 with shipping!

I think some corners will have to be cut!

This Sucks!

All Prices include shipping

Original plan:

Chieftec matrix case (full tower) 83.72
Vantec stealth fans (4 120's, 3 80's) 92.99
misc hardware (including TIM, rounded cables, grills, etc) 39
copper stock 24.42
Eheim 1050 aprox 80
Heater core shipped 24.76

total: 344.89

New Plan:

Chieftec matrix case (full tower) 83.72
Vantec stealth fans (2 120's, 3 80's) 55.97
misc hardware (including TIM, NO cables, grills, etc) 22.02
Heater core local with tax 24.76
copper stock 24.42
Maxijet local under 30
Re-using louder than neccesary 120 and 92 mm fans - free

total: 240.89

This doesn't include: plastic tops for WB's, hose, clamps, fittings, JB weld, and anything else I may be forgetting.

Really dissapointed that the Eheim had to go, but you gotta make compromises somewhere I guess.

This will still take me about 2-3 months to get together. I look forward to making some waterblocks, though.

Wow that's a lot of fans. I guess you aren't going to water for the quietness of it 8) What parts are you planning on using for your water setup?

peace.
unloaded

edit: Now I see your parts list. You can save a lot of money getting fans HERE. They won't be as quiet as the stealth fans, but you can 7v them or make your own fan controller. Here's a thread of my RotoBus it switches between 7v-9v-12v thats for the 3 knobs on left side, the one on the right is for lighting.

Last edited:
If you really want that many fans you wont need them to be rip-roaring powerful. Consider these alternatives in the interest of "cutting corners":

Good 80mm I use three of these.

Good 120mm String pairs of these in series for lower speed and hence noise.

Total cost before shipping is $33.50

Hoot

Well... That's why I wanted the stealth fans.

I'm going to
1: shroud my core with 2 - 120 mm stealth fans,
2: cut a blowhole in the side for my sunon 120 to blow on the video card @ 7v
3: Use my sunon 92mm in the top where there is a spot
4: 2 stealths at the rear near the cpu (cages there)
5: 1 stealth in the hard drive bay I will use

Since I will have to be going with a maxijet (or Via Aqua), I will probably use a res to make it quieter.

I'm still planning on plumbing in a "T" line in case I run into money enough for the Eheim. I'm probably going to pick up some braided hose from Lowes.

And the big thing is that I'm going to order 3 blanks of copper to experiment on waterblock design and coonstruction using normal tools.

go find you way to bgmicro.com, they usually have panaflow 80mm fans, they also have a few 120s but they are a little louder than what your looking for I think

Ebay has the Maxi Jet 1200PH for $23.70 shipped.

Hoot: I'm with you; Shroomer: go panaflos! Seeing your system now (with Mechatronics fan!! Nice :)) you will go deaf with stealths. I run ONE in my PSU, and it's crap. Honestly, though, why do you need all these fans? One (shrouded) for the HC (120), and MAYBE 2 80mm 7volted Panas for intake/output-but what's up with all the rest of em!! I'd try it w/ just 2 80s, the 120 for the hc, and see if its too hot.

Oh, and don't pay those prices for the Panas, check ebay.

My only opinion in the matter is why on earth so many fans?

Cut out both blowholes. You'll find on this project that once you get the CPU with a waterblock on it, you *really* don't need as much airflow to keep everything else running happy.

If your radiator is in the bottom front with the 120 sucking in, that's pleanty of air comming in. (if you leave it at full speed) If not, the just cut an 80mm blowhole on top of the PCI slots and volt mod that as low as it will go.

PSU and a low speed(or volt modded) 80mm should be enough to expell the bad air.

-Toysrme

so the stealths are louder than their rating? The Db rating on them matches the pana's with better flow. Hmm...

Anyway, I guess you're right. I don't NEED all of those fans right away. I just didn't want any hot spots. And I am doing water for performance. Quiet is just a nice by-product for me.

I have a while to decide, though.

P.S. I don't see any pana's on the bgmicro site. Hoot posted a link to a spot for like $4.50.

Last edited:
Just within the last couple of days I got enough posts in to view the classifieds. I might try that out.

That does seem like a lot of fans, once you cool your CPU down and if you use a setup that does not introduce hot air from your RAD into your system then you don't need that many fans. That is my thoughts which should probably be kept to my self. But why I am at it, I have read that top blow holes disrupt your air flow in a bad way. So many fans but what you need is to make sure they circulate through your case properly. This may seem dumb, but get some string and tie it on to differant parts of your system to get the best (which is an s configuration starting at the bottom) configuration. The strings will tell you which way and what the air is flowing over.

Yes, I've since changed my plans.

I have some fans in my case now and for $ sake, I will use them in the setup I will make... Will need 2 new 120's in the future to finish, though.

I'm going to mount my rad a'la Dodgeviper... sideways. I'll start with just one fan and add the new ones later (with one being replaced).

My new case already has a hole over the PCI's for an 80mm and I will use another in a HDD cage. Finally I will use a 90mm at the top/back where there is a spot.

I'll modify from there as needed. and will also make a fan controller circuit to further control noise.

Back