• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which would be better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the new granite bay chipsets are really nice, but expensive. the asus 850e chipset boards are good too. alot depends on what your budget is.

The reason I ask is my brother plans to buy a system from Gateway or Dell (I know, I know). We were going to build one, but he decided to buy one of these 2, and since I'm not familiar with Rdram, I was wondering which would be better.

RDRAM is being phased out... (slowly yet steadily) Intel now finally accepted DDR as the type of memory for the future... from what i know of no more chipsets released by intel will have RDRAM... so if you want the best performance from a pentium 4 right now then get a system with RDRAM... but if you can take a slight performance hit/ and/or plan on overclocking then get ddr... as come 6 months from now when no one uses RDRAM you will be glad you did

RDRAM is going to be around at least for another 2 years. It sounds to me from the Dell and Gateway references that he wants a box that you just plug in and go. I think straight out of the box without any tinkering RDRAM (850E chipset with PC1066 RDRAM) would be the way to go. Like Darryl_D said, It is more expensive but provides the best performance at stock settings.

Back