• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been getting weird Errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiljaden5

I've been getting weird errors lately that I think are memory related. Here's the message I get once in a while, usually when installing something:

The instruction at "0x771c761a" referenced memory at "0x001637e8". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Does anyone know if this maybe mean I have bad RAM? I am running WinXP, if that matters

kiljaden5 said:
I've been getting weird errors lately that I think are memory related. Here's the message I get once in a while, usually when installing something:

Does anyone know if this maybe mean I have bad RAM? I am running WinXP, if that matters

the NT kernel is good at exposing bad RAM. Are you running the memory at faster speed / faster timings than it is rated for? Trying running at default (assuming you're not) and see if the errors continue.

kiljaden5 said:

I dont think its bad ram. 2 of my systems got the same error when I tried to load my Sony Clie software to them. On the first one i thought it was some sort of conflict with the Ipaq software I had on it. I installed it on the second figuring it would be solved if the Clie software was by itself, but I got the same error again? The software loaded without error on the second machine before I installed the RAID card.

The PDA software works fine even after the error and the memory on both my machines checks out ok. Cant figure this one out:(

Maximouse, we seem to have the exact same problem, my computer seems to be working fine, I get these errors once in a while but everything works completely fine... weird...

Also, my ram IS using more aggressive settings than normal, I set them a little lower now, got another error, so I'll set them even lower now, hopefully that should fix it.

jay said:
i would give memtest86 a run.
that program is great for testing RAM
http://www.memtest86.com/

You mean they make RAM diagnostic software that can detect errors in what block of the RAM and what type of MEMORY operation is taking place this is not effected by an OS.
What ever could this magical software be?
Oh and whats that jay, its free
wow what a good idea, maybe i should check it out.

jay said:

You mean they make RAM diagnostic software that can detect errors in what block of the RAM and what type of MEMORY operation is taking place this is not effected by an OS.
What ever could this magical software be?
Oh and whats that jay, its free
wow what a good idea, maybe i should check it out.

No way! AND it's free? Well that's just hard to believe. You should've said something earlier!
:rolleyes:

Back