• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR beats 1066 RD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't see anything in there relating to DDR or RD... and I'm not scanning through all the pages to find it.

it isnt RDRAM vs AMD, AMD could use RDRAM if it wanted to...

as RAM speeds arent really that far apart it seems to be a case of who holds bandwidth - and RDRAM holds the bandwidth...I havent seen any benchmarks of DDR vs RD at the same bandwidth - but I should image they are similar

bterry13 said:
If RD ram performs better, why do amd machines have better benchmarks?

Because DDR is cheaper, and easier. RDRAM u have to have in pairs, DDR u dont. Theoretically, RDRAM gives u twice the bandwidth of DDR

*edit* And AMD doesnt use DDR...the chipsets designed for them do. They could just as easily make a chipset for RDRAM for AMD systems

Evnas said:

Because DDR is cheaper, and easier. RDRAM u have to have in pairs, DDR u dont. Theoretically, RDRAM gives u twice the bandwidth of DDR

*edit* And AMD doesnt use DDR...the chipsets designed for them do. They could just as easily make a chipset for RDRAM for AMD systems

My board doesn't need RDRAM in pairs.

And Bterry13, what AMD machines are you referring to?

Last edited:
bterry13 said:
If RD ram performs better, why do amd machines have better benchmarks?

You can't make the comparison. The Athlon can't take advantage of the bandwidth that PC1066 spec RDRAM can supply, so it's useless. This is why the Northwood really shines when it's paired with some high-bandwidth RDRAM; and when this is done, it's not often that the Athlon beats it.

Evnas said:

First, the cost difference in DDR and RDRAM is not that great... and the performance enthusiast wouldn't dare pair DDR with a high-clocked Northwood, not yet anyways. Simply, DDR can't deliver! Please explain how RDRAM gives twice the bandwidth of DDR.

Evnas said:

You don't make any sense... and you're obdviously not up to date on AMD's chipsets.

oh god here comes the urge, to slap on some 600mhz drcgs, get some of that ocz pc1200 and crank out a benchmark to make the ddr boyz cry

You don't make any sense... and you're obdviously not up to date on AMD's chipsets.

Evnas is right - AMD uses DDR as they choose to use it, the motherboard chipsets thus are designed for it, AMD could just as easily buy rights from Rambus to use RDRAM, then an array of chipsets for AMD/RDRAM platforms would appear

Actually, AMD has a license to use RDRAM. Part of the reason why they opted not to was because they focus more on the bang-for-the-buck crowd which RDRAM is not a part of due to the premium it carries.

~THT

flapperhead said:
oh god here comes the urge, to slap on some 600mhz drcgs, get some of that ocz pc1200 and crank out a benchmark to make the ddr boyz cry

LOL!!!! I know you've been looking for a reason Flapperhead. I've heard that OCZ's quality has improved and they're producing some real quality stuff again.

I have comparred the 2 types myself. I had my 1.8a in an Asus 850 board with pc800 ram. Sandra memory benchmark scores were way higher than with my new 845PE chipset at stock speeds. Its a bummer, but facts are facts.

Back