• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i really need crosair to overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timmyqwest

Disabled
I'm hoping to get to 3ghz out of the 2.4b P4 that i'm gonna buy...i know crosair is "king" for overclocking but is it possible to overclock with lesser ram Kingston for example. I've asked before kinda and i always get "get crosair" but...i need to cut corners ;-)

It all depends on the motherboard.

When you overclock a P4, you're pushing the FSB up way high. Currently DDR isn't able to fill all of the bandwidth that a P4 has.

I'm not too fluent on P4 mobo dividers, but most of them will allow you to set a memory divider so that your RAM doesn't have to run in sync with the FSB. Hopefully someone else will be able to shed some light on this

The short answer for you is no, Corsair is not required for overclocking, but it's very high performance RAM and will give you great results.

Kingston's PC2700 Value RAM is doing pretty great at overclocking too... it's a lot cheaper than Corsair and all of it will at least do PC3200 speeds.

It's more of a gamble but if you got lucky and picked up a stick of Kingston Value PC2700 that was made with 5ns Winbond chips, you'd in essence have a stick of XMS3200 as that's what XMS 3200 uses. However, nowadays, the Value RAM is turning up with Samsung chips so the OC isn't as high. The reason why everyone suggests Corsair is because it's a time-tested, sure thing.

~THT

no i dont think u need that. because to hit 3ghz your fsb isnt going to be extremely high like the corsair gets. however corsair is very good and most ppl seem to get very good results with it. other quality brands like kingston, kingmax, samsung etc...

--jason

Back