• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Flow Auto Shutdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my comp auto shuts off n its own when there is no flow just takes a few minutes of cs. im not kidding it even lets me know when its gonna do it when the screen gets blairing white for a minute or 2...

... ill quit jacking u and my self come on into the water. its nicer than sitting on that dry windy beach... ...and thnx ill look at theses...

Pump failures are often not as catastropic as it sounds. It takes a while for the cpu to become too hot because of the water in the waterblock.

I believe most overclockers already take precautions such as using Waterfall to minimize heat production during cpu idle and also have temperature sensor hardware that shut the computer down when the cpu core reaches a certain temperature.

Try doing a search for failsafes in the forum or just keep asking around. I've read more about this on other posts so keep looking too.

You can also use thermal switches on the water block it's self, hooked up to the green "power good" wire on the PSU, pump stops, block heats up, triggers switch, switch breaks power good, PC shut's down (fast).

Protection? Well if it leaks then you have a problem, if it over heats you have a problem. I usually don't worry to much, if my pump fails then my computer goes into "auto-shutdown" (or you could call it the CPU gets to hot and dies). But really i use MBM5 with Shutdown! and it works good, I have tested it. Also it does take a while for the CPU to get hot, once and only once (so far) I forgot to plug in my pump, my temps slowly kept climbing over quite some time, then I realized that I didn't plug it back in, pluged it in and it was fine.

Volenti said:
You can also use thermal switches on the water block it's self, hooked up to the green "power good" wire on the PSU, pump stops, block heats up, triggers switch, switch breaks power good, PC shut's down (fast).

Volenti, do you know if that "power good" signal can be delayed on startup? Intel's PSU design guide dictates signal timings, but I wonder if that's an actual motherboard requirement or just Intel's ideal. I'd started a similar thread to this one here.

nightowl

Thanks for the heads up, to my article. Unfortunately it seems no one else that's posted in this topic bothered to read it. Shame as all the points raised are covered in the article text, and if the "discuss in the forums" link is followed I post a few interesting topic links, one of which is a thread about the hardware type shutdown. It may seem over the top to some but I fully explain my reasons in the article.

Oh and THIS is what can happen in a very short period when using a water-cooled high watt TEC (pay attention to what happened to the water-block, bearing in mind it's a Maze 2 soldered block)

mazeleak.jpg

Back