• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which DDR Ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmTSea19

If I do not plan on overclocking, then I assume that Corsair XMS would be a waste, right? I was set on getting it since so many people keep mentioning it, but I am not sure I need it. I am thinking of buying some Kingston Value Ram, as it is about $50.00 cheaper than Corsair XMS, but it is cas 2.5 as compared to XMS's cas 2.0. Will it be a big difference? I am going to get 2700 DDR 333.

Taking any opinions on the best RAM to get, but with out spending a fortune. I have a 2.53 Processor and will probably get a P4PE Motherboard. I probably will not overclock, but I want to keep that option open too. I know you get what you pay for, and I want that, but I don't want to go overboard and get something I don't need either.

THANKS

If you don't plan on ocing at all then some decent pc2700 cas2.5 will probably be fine(something like samsung). Most likely you will be able to still run it at cas2. If you want to do a little ocing then maybe you might want to go with some better ram, maybe some cas2.0

Corsair xms is sweet so if you think some day you will want to push your memory harder you may want to spring for it right off the bat.

With your intentions, I suggest either Crucial PC2700 or Kingston Value RAM PC2700. Both have recieved stellar reviews. Crucial sticks have been around longer so any bugs have ben worked out. Kingston Value RAM is a relatively new entrant however from what I've read, people like it. The earliest stuff used Winbond 5ns chips which is the same stuff as Corsair XMS3200 and overclocked really well. Newer sticks are turning up with Samsung chips though. In any event, you'll have good RAM that will give you SOME overclocking headroom. I personally bought my stick of XMS3200 with the intention of "growing into" it; i.e. overclocking at a later date, which I've done.

~THT

The only problem with Crucial is that it's almost as expensive as Corsair XMS. 512MB DDR 2700 Crucial is $170.99! Might as well get XMS for only $10.00 more.
Maybe I'll get lucky and get a Kingston with a Winbond, or do they not make Windbonds at all anymore? The price difference at Newegg between XMS and Kingston is $59.00. I am not sure I can justify $59.00 for XMS or is the difference THAT much?
I really need to save a little money on this machine, as it is adding up. I upped my original video card budget from $100.00 to $180.00 for the 9500 Pro.

Yah, I think I am going to get the Kingston, mainly to save the money. Also, in the future if I get one of those Motherboards with the dual memory module thing, I'll be able to pick up another 512mb Kingston cheap.

Mushkin has "High Performance" PC-2100 and PC-2700 sticks that will let you run @ 2-2-2 timings, probably the the strictest timed sticks of regular DDR you could get, and if you ever wanted to overclock, they have high overclocking potential.

id suggest a cas2 stick.this will keep the bandwith higher.
i like kingston or samsung 2700.both of these should run c2 timings at 166.mine runs c2.0-2-2-5 197 samsung 2700

yes those sticks only come in 2.5c flavour but as with any ocing its a chance it wont,but id bet it will be fine.

deathstar13 said:
id suggest a cas2 stick.this will keep the bandwith higher.
i like kingston or samsung 2700.both of these should run c2 timings at 166.mine runs c2.0-2-2-5 197 samsung 2700

yes those sticks only come in 2.5c flavour but as with any ocing its a chance it wont,but id bet it will be fine.

What speed are the chips on your stick of Samsung?

Back