• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can it be done- H2O Fans and Radiator OUTSIDE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

I wonder if there is a way to rig a water setup, but keep everything noisy outside. I mean OUTSIDE. Somehow lead the tubes and wires outside to the side of the house. Its winter here- below freezing- excellent cooling conditions outside. I wonder if that's doable. Any suggestions?

I could do it but I need a easy and non-ghetto or non-redneck way of getting the stuff from the inside to the outside. Drilling or hammering holes might not fly. Thats the only thing holding me back! :mad:

it's doable.(and done before)

as for getting the lines outside without drilling..
i guess you have to find existing holes then. if none that are well placed is found, you could use a small window, and use styrox to close the opening of the window, like, stick some holes in styrox the size of the window, and put that styrox as the window, dunno if this is non ghetto though, but all the non ghetto ways would require drilling..

The only thing I need it for is silence. I want a 100% silent computer... that actually will run without burning up after the first couple minutes.

I guess this idea will have to wait until I can a ghetto house.

Still thinking of silent ideas. Fans are still required to cool the radiator... Errrr.

Try submerging your radiator in a large tub of water and keep adding ice to it

this is what sits on my porch......
WC_0012.jpg

inside the house.........
WCCC_0003.jpg

HAHA! I LOVE IT! Just through the open window? Hmmm. Hey BTW whats your address. Now I know where to go if I need any parts... tubing, inline pump, radiator... fans.. hehee. Heck that bench looks pretty nice too. Hehe. Is that antitheft devise... garbage bag ties??? HA!

No problem with theft? (But if you think about it, the thief would just look at it with a perplexed look on his face "WTF IS THAT???"

diggingforgold said:

No problem with theft? (But if you think about it, the thief would just look at it with a perplexed look on his face "WTF IS THAT???"
You mean like my neighbors do when they see my house?
Adcutaly there is a 1x4 on either side of the window inside the hosue to KEEP it closed, infact i used black ducktape to weather proof it :) Anyone that wantes to take it ca, its only about $40 worth of parts........LOL~ i live in the middle of NO WHERE, infact in 12yrs here, nothing except a chainsaw (as of last week) has gone missing.......
i only have 5 neighbores in like 2 miles.........

well, with outside temps of 20c down to 1c i get varried~ ive done 16c with my 1600@1953 folding at 2.0v~ so pretty good~ those fans move 100cfm air, but i run em at 7v~

** Oh ya~ ive done 10c down to -1c (one night it was at -2c) but i had to shut it off~ i dont have it insulated for condensation....... LOL

spider sounds nice i would like to live off a little (sububs here...)i wasn contemplating putting my rad out the window just yah know let it hang...

outside setups are awesome, especially when your average temp outside is - 20 and colder even during the day here, i had a wc setup with no rad and no fans at all, just a rez outside (i was being cheep) but with these condictions the res didnt have a chance to heat up

We are getting new windows this week... ones that ACTUALLY OPEN, so leading tubing outside doesn't sound that bad. I need to cram something in the space thats open that won;t damage or leave residue on the window or frame (although duct tape does fix everything, it almost always leaves a mark whereever it goes, which is a pain to remove)

Any ideas? A towel? Hehe. I dont want to be too ghetto, as I do not own the house.

Why dont you open the window a crack and put a block of wood with holes in it to fill the gaps?
If you want it completely silent, you will have to watercool everything including psu (it can be done) and harddrives (and put them in insulation.
It would be pretty cool to not even notice when your computer is running :D

thats that i did, and put foam weather stripping on each side to seal it, but i was still getting a draft, and were replacing my windows in like a month so my parents dont care~

Spyder, I don't think that setup will work as well in the summer? I really like the let it all hang out look though. :D

I ran with my radiator outside my window for months and it worked great; my setup allowed me to pull the rad inside in summer when it was hot enough for ac as well:)

One word of warning: I was running my coolant mixture right along the danger point in order to get maximum efficiency (antifreeze is NOT as good as water: the more antifreeze the less efficient) and I ended up paying the price.

I dropped voltage a bit which dropped the heat into my coolant just enough to let ice form in the radiator. RIP XP1600 and Epox mobo. :(

Keep the antifreeze levels UP in sub-zero temps if your radiator is outside, folks!!!! 50/50 might be best.......

Back