• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Micro ATX and chipsets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
I'm not a P4 person. I don't have the money. But for my next computer venture, I'd like to go Intel. But what I want is two mobos in one case, so that pretty much limits my options to Micro ATX with onboard everything. I need LAN and video at least. Sound would be impossible to live without, but most boards, Micro or not, come with sound, so . . . My question is two-fold. Firstly, what chipset is the best for P4 (533mhz bus) and does it really matter that much overclocking-wise which cipset I get? The other part of the question is, who's the best manufacturer? I haven't looked at all the makers yet, but all I can think of is Shuttle because of their cube-ish case that's featured in MPC all the time. I also looked at MSI, but didn't really know what to go for. I guess if you feel like it, you could let me know if refurbished from Newegg.com is worth it . . . I want cheap !

Thanks

Z

Well I think to use it, I'll be dismantling my current AMD computer. That means that it'll need to be able to use PC2100 DDR RAM. I would very much like to have AGP 8X, but if 'taint possible, oh well. What I want to do on this computer is play games, write papers, browse the 'net, edit pictures, record the Simpsons nightly (and edit it . . .BAH!), and everything else I do on a computer. It might also be the server for a Yattamonster if I ever have enough money to undertake such a project. It will do exactly what my current computer does (in my sig), and my current computer is just sufficient enough. It freezes all the time in games and restarts itself, it won't overclock very much, it's too loud, and it's a general pain in my arse. Anyone want to assure me that P4 will be my savior?

Z

And I have a very strict limit to where the processor can go so that there is sufficient clearance for the hsf. this website will show you where it needs to be with the connectors and PCI slots located on the top . . .

Thanks

Z

In looking for boards with AGP8X, I found this one, but 'taint micro ATX, so I don't know if it will fit. The other one I found that was micro ATX isthis one. How's IWill? How are Intel chipsets for overclocking? And has anyone located Micro ATX boards with AGP 8X?

Thanks

Z

I am not real sure that you are going to get everything you want in such a small board. Also since you want to put 2 mobos in one case why not get two cheap cases and mod them together into one case, or maybe you could build your own out of plexiglass since it might cost you 60 bucks or less in material. This is just my thought on this.

I guess I had better clarify my intentions . . . Here is the case I'd like to use and making extensions or building my own will simply not work. I am very willing to compromise on AGP 8X. I don't think those can even be had. I am wondering, though, if there is a reason I don't find boards with both AGP slots and onboard graphics? Perhaps that's a common theme?

Thanks for everyone's time

Z

Zachj: your post about the board layout and the link the the apple mobo, forget it.

The AGP 8x for the AMD is not going to be a problem and there is a good chance in finding a mATX. For Intel, the only chipset that has AGP 8x and is in the retail market is the E7205 and it suks. about the AMD, here is one option. here is another. For intelthis is a list from intel. the intel 845GE has an agp and int. graphics.

PBY5CAT- Are you saying that I will never find a board with the same layout? I don't need everything to be where it is on the apple mobo, I just need the processor to be there or further away from the drive cage. There are plenty of pictures on the 'net that will show you just how much of a problem the drive cage poses if you've never seen one in person. If the processor is behind the cage, the HSF will hit it and it will keep the side panel from closing. If it is located down from the cage, (on the bottom of the case when closed), that would also work, but I've never seen a motherboard layout like that in my many years of life (17 . . .I feel so old:eek: ). Thanks for the links. I went to the Biostar website to look at the board you linked to above and found the one with onboard video as well, located here and I really like this board. Not only is it red (I wanted red), but it's also got onboard everything I need and it's got AGP8X. I haven't heard things about NForce2 that lived up to the hype, but I haven't heard anything bad either, other than a lack of PCI lock or only a 1/5th divider. I'll definitely have to check that out, but unless I can find a reason not to get it, that looks like the one. I'll have to check the placement of the CPU and such, but I think I've found a winner. Thanks so much for your help. I'm still interested in P4s, though, as the overclocking potential is still appealing, so if anybody finds anything, let me know. Thanks again.

Z

Last edited:
Maybe I misunderstood your question but what I was saying is intel motherboards aren't that great at overclocking. Intels chipsets on the other hand are probably the best though. :D

I am, in fact, putting it into an Apple case. Hopefully, I'll be able to get both mobos in one case, but I don't know. I have started another thread on that as well, but don't seem to be getting much help. I haven't figured out how to mount them so that the PCI and AGP slots would be usable in both boards, but I doubt that will happen. If anyone has any ideas about that, I'd appreciate them. Also, if you happen upon an Intel chipset motherboard with AGP 8X in a mATX form factor, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for the links

Z

forget about finding a mATX intel with AGP 8x

how about you build your own case out of plexyglass, you can find allot of help on that in alt. modding and case & power sections.

Back