• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modding a koolance system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myarse

The standard settings on a koolance system on both the tower version and the external exos system (i have the exos) has 3 operating modes.
1. fans run at 45%
2. fans run at 45% until temp goes over 35C then fans increase until they reach 100%
3. fans run at 100%

On my p4 system i never have temps over 27C so the mode 2 never goes over 45%.

I like the performance of the fans at 100% but like to silence of the fans at 45%

has anyone moded the board of the koolance system to give better control of the fan speeds and the temp range of the mode 2. I would like to recalibrate the mode 2 for lets say if the temp goes over 25C the fans will increase or set the mode 1 for a better balance of speed and noise.

I could allways move the temp probe closer to the cpu to give a better temp reading but thats to easy. I think this would help other koolance user as everyone has differant systems with differant temps.

thanks

Myarse

you could completely get rid of koolaces ststem and just use a rheostat to controll the fans. that way you can tune them from off to %100 or anywehre in between.

thanks for both your replys nealric (the pelt one that was just a crazy idea)

i installed some thermaltake high power fans in the exos so at 45% speed the fans would perform better but there was not enough power and the fans stopped.

I have 2 hi/mid/low fan controllers juat waiting for the 3 and was going to fit them inside the exos so i can run it on mode 3 then control the fans from them.

I also thought about the second heater core.
I like the exos system but it could be a bit more flexible. I guess you just cant beat building your own water cooling rig.

will post back on how i get on with the fan switches.

Myarse.
water1.jpg

water2.jpg

do you mean the ones on the chipset and cpu coolers ? if yes they are temp sensors.
The case was a bit messy on the above pictuers and have since re-organised eveything to make my new window look better.

Also i have made some mods to the koolance system by fitting to ystech 12cm fans instead of the 3 standard ones with speed controlers. On maximum speed they out perform the standard ones and are a lot quieter not a quite as the standard ones on mode 1 but then they are silent. I just need to fit them in the koolance case properly.
I will post some pics soon

myarse

newcase.jpg
window.jpg
ystech.jpg

Last edited:
I have nearly finished fitting the 12cm fans in the exos case.

They are a fraction bigger than the hole in the top of the exos case so i mounted them on top using the bolts from the old fans that hold the heater core in place and some large washers.
Then after making the screw holes on the fans a little wider push them through the holes in the side of the heater core and hold it in place with washers , rubber washers and nuts.
The top of th exos needed a little work with the deviders of the 3 8cm fans to allow the 12cm fans to sit inside the top but not all the way.
Next i will get some longer screws and screw the top to the case and then with some thick black card make an extension to the edges of the top to hide the fans.

This is the fans with some nice silver duct tape to make sure the fans pull air through the heater core.

newfansontoptopview.jpg

and the top cover showing the fans that i will hide later

newfanwithcover.jpg

myarse

Back