• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leaking chipset cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bensonjv

Can anyone give me some advice on fixing this? My chipset cooler has begun to leak from the outlet fitting. The top of the block is plexi and the fiting is plastic. I thought I should ask for some advice before I just start cranking down on it with a wrench. The fittings have that white non-hardening pipe dope stuff on the threads vice pipe thread tape.

Both coolers are Gemini Cool. Bought at Case-mod.

System stuff:

Epox 8K7A+, Athlon (AYHJA) 1.4 @ 1.6(11*146*1.82v) - stable at 38F
1Gig Mushkin Hiperf PC2100 DDR
40 GB 7200 RPM Maxtor
40 GB 7200 WD Caviar
Win XP / Linux Mandrake 8

Water cooled:
Gemini Cool Hi-vol CPU cooler and Gemini copper chipset cooler.
DangerDen Super cube radiator, Enheim 1250 pump submerged in external 2.5 gal res running water wetter/distilled H2O mix. There is 3/8"ID tubing all around. Routing goes from pump/res to CPU to chipset to radiator to res.

Pls help.

Thanks

Does it have any cracks in the plexi you can see?

If not put it back together with plumbers tape.. run it over the sink and see if it still leaks.. If it is cracked, off to the home depot for more plexi!

I wouldn't use teflon tape, I'd use Joint Compound with Teflon in it. Also i have a gemini block and once the tubing is on the barbs it is pretty easy to unscrew them moving the tubing around. Make sure you are twisting the tubing clockwise while putting it on the barbs or getting the tubing to point the right direction.

peace.
unloaded

unloaded, thats exactly why I dont use poly tops, its cuz if you screw them down any farther itll most likely crack, and thats pretty hopeless, I suggest you either send it back or grab some epoxy or silicone and take it out and apply the adheasive and screw it in BY HAND, no tools

After closer scrutiny it appeared to be a loose vice broken fitting. I pulled it and regooped it with non-hardening Teflon white stuff. Seems to be fine now.

Back