• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeIL PC3700 466MHz DDR Golden Dragon Series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Top Hat Theater said:
I'd wait on the Geil. Let's see some reviews of non-handpicked sticks. I'm still wary of the OCZ stuff though. If this is a new leaf for them, way to go.

~THT

Although I wouldnt recommend OCZ nor Geil to anyone, the stick I bought from Newegg refurb is good stuff, but I guess its luck, Im wondering why someone returned it.

If you want quality buy Corsair, they stand behind thier products as does Mushkin.

My sentiments exactly. Or Crucial. I've never had a problem with their products but from what I've heard and read, their warranty and customer service are on par with Corsair.

~THT

Silversinksam said:

Although I wouldnt recommend OCZ nor Geil to anyone, the stick I bought from Newegg refurb is good stuff, but I guess its luck, Im wondering why someone returned it.

If you want quality buy Corsair, they stand behind thier products as does Mushkin.

When did you buy it? I returned mine to NewEgg in the beginning of December because my system would CONSTANTLY reboot after installing at 166Mhz, even at 2.9v. My Crucial PC2100 was more stable. I ended up purchasing Corsair XMS-3200C2 and couldn't be happier. I will never buy GEIL again.

mamisano said:

When did you buy it? I returned mine to NewEgg in the beginning of December because my system would CONSTANTLY reboot after installing at 166Mhz, even at 2.9v. My Crucial PC2100 was more stable. I ended up purchasing Corsair XMS-3200C2 and couldn't be happier. I will never buy GEIL again.

Was it a 512mb pc3200ultra? I bought it around the time you stated. It runs very high at aggresive timings no higher than 2.6v :eek: (I hate to say it but its better than the Mushkin or Corsair XMS I had) I saw it for $119 and had to buy it. Saw the same stick in the refurb section last week for $105, but I knew that lightning wouldnt strike twice, why push my luck.....

I have 2 256 Corsair 3500's running at 448mhz 1.9v. The timmings are a bit relaxed 7,3,3,2.5. I'm still pushing it higher.

Silversinksam said:

Was it a 512mb pc3200ultra? I bought it around the time you stated. It runs very high at aggresive timings no higher than 2.6v :eek: (I hate to say it but its better than the Mushkin or Corsair XMS I had) I saw it for $119 and had to buy it. Saw the same stick in the refurb section last week for $105, but I knew that lightning wouldnt strike twice, why push my luck.....

Come to think of it, it was a pc3500 that I sent back...my bad :eek:

i would never buy OCZ or geil... while it may do 466mhz, they say on their site under the description of the ram that it could take 3.2v to do this. they say this, even though they only warrently up to 2.7v....

Either purchase corsair 3500ddr, or wait until corsair releases faster ram. I persoanally will not update my DDR 3200 until corsair releases ram that is guarenteed to do 500mhz.... i want this so i can run 250fsb with only 2.5v in the ram...

oh yeah corsairs ram only needs 2.5v to do advertised specs they guarentee it... it is true also. my xms 3200 cas 2.5 will do 200fsb with 2.5v @ 2.5-6-3-3

its good stuff!

Buy that Geil junk at your own risk!
Don't come whining if you buy it and have problems!
And that website for OCZ Systems is a joke.
Look up their ratings on resellerratings.com

Cheers,
Mike

mr_kow said:
well it does say 4ns... that means its rated for 250mhz... they cant really lie about that.

Something like that. No guarantee of what kind of timings you'll get from it. IMO, Corsair is a much better brand. They actually advertise their RAM running at high speeds WITH fast timings. I know for gamers MHz means more that timings, but if you can have your cake and eat it too...........why not? :D

FYI ... thanks for this thread, gang. I just bought new core components for my PC, and I was really tempted to get the Geil 3700. Then, after thinking about Stumpjumper's first post about timings, I bought the Corsair 3500.

I bought an Epox 8RDA+ and an AMD 2400+ to go with it, so I look forward to pushing the bus at 217 ...

Paazabel said:
FYI ... thanks for this thread, gang. I just bought new core components for my PC, and I was really tempted to get the Geil 3700. Then, after thinking about Stumpjumper's first post about timings, I bought the Corsair 3500.

I bought an Epox 8RDA+ and an AMD 2400+ to go with it, so I look forward to pushing the bus at 217 ...

I think you made a wise decision.....
Good luck in your quests....

Cheers,
Mike

Back