• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Future upgrade on my TH7-II... what to do...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OverclockNStein

I'm thinking about upgrading my P4 1.8a to a P4 2.53b or 2.66b and adding another 512 RAMBUS.

The problem is that my current rambus is Samsung PC800 45ns. I would still like to use it @ 3x133. Will there be any problem at all if my new RAMBUS is PC800 @ 40ns?

Or better yet, would you chose to use pc1066 and use it under spec so it would work with the PC800 allready in the PC

Anyone using mixed RAMBUS sticks? (45ns, 40ns, PC1066)?

Get a 2.53GHz C1 but don't expect too much from the old board. It is not built for such high frequencies.

Also don't get PC1066. It causes troubles on the board. Get 40ns PC800 and you will be fine. There shouldn't be any compatibility issues with your old RAM because they run on different channels.

I'm using PC800 45ns (2 with 4 chips and 2 with 8 chips). No problems!

Merkor

or better yet, change out your drcgs to the isc 600mhz chips.get 2x256 of the ocz pc1200 rdram and a vmem mod and watch that bad boy crank!

I'll take the easy way out... thanx anyway flapperhead :)

Merkor, I've seen benchmarks that showed a P4 [email protected] get crushed by a real P4 2.4a, Have any numbers to share that show how well the 2.53 is? I'm hoping for at least 20% better than 1.8, otherwise its not really worth it.

Merkor, have you tried overclocking your 2.53?

I had it Prime stable @ 2.8GHz (147MHz FSB) with the Vcore set to 1.725v in the BIOS which gives me 1.62v actual voltage.

I believe the CPU will perform much better on other boards. That's why I would say wait for the Springdale to come out and get a FSB800 CPU from Intel in spring time...

15268 3DMarks: 2.8GHz with an ATI Radeon 9700 clocked @ 330/620.

Merkor

NICE!

Maybe I'll just upgrade to the new Geforce FX, or ATI's future equivalent to tide me over for a while.

Last edited:
Back