• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston or Hyundai

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

Well I finally brought myself to the point where I'm going to grab one of the two sticks of 256MB ram, and I gotta decide which one to go for, basically they both are the same price and the Hyundai uses Hynix chips but I don't know what Kingston uses, their price is pretty much the same. What I want is to know which one will have more if any chances of reaching 148MHz FSB at CAS2, as its the maximum speed my current stick would run stable at.
Any suggestions are appriciated.

pc2100?

i think the kingston will have no problem, but i've seen some vikings crap out at 146fsb at cas 3:eek: , which used hynix chips i think. i'd definitely go with kingston

This is SDRAM PC-133 I'm talking about. I will not be upgrading for a long while now, but want to do small stuff to improve what I already have.
Hmm then Hynix is prolly out of the question then, eh? Thanks.
Anyone else?

Kingston uses what ever is availible cheaply. Everytime we recieve stock the chips on them are different. So far I've seen the following.
- Nanya
- Hyundai
- Hynix
- Infineon
- Kingston (I have no idea who make the chips for them with their branding on them)

if it aint broke dont fix it

also if it is broke hit it

my dads pc (my old one) still uses 100 :S

So once again, what would you recommend? Should I go with Hyundai RAM, that might have Hynix chips or the Kingston RAM?
Ok now there's a 3rd choice Micron. What do you think? I can get it at a store I'm gonna be at tommorow in another town, so basically it's more expensive but there will be no shipping fee, so the actual price will be the same as the two above

Last edited:
Personally I'd go with the Kingston (lifetime warranty). I'd ask to see the ram before you buy it though, in an effort to see which chips are actually on the ram, and buy the stick according to what chips are on it in the following order.

- Nanya
- Infineon
- Hynix (bought out buy Hyundai, but not made by them)
- Hyundai

If you can get Micron ram made by Micron (not just the chips), I'd get that. If it's Crucial, even better.

Well, I lost my chance at getting the Micron as I went to a different city today and the store where I looked the micron out was closed, and another store with the Kingston (I didn't know of that store before, found it there today) didn't have any in stock. So I'm propably going to be ordering online, so I guess Kingston it is...

Back