• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo-makers and RMA policies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoFoQ

Well, this applies to not only Intel CPU boards but AMD ones too.

I'm just tired of crummy RMA policies that require me to pay up to EVEN get something to work right after getting it (aka DOA fees) and the next time I make a motherboard purchase, I want the warranty/RMA policy to be a part of the decision process.

Here's a small list of manufacturers I've gathered so far:
(All the prices are based on in-warranty RMAs)

Abit $0 ($25 per without receipt, $7 per Advanced RMA plus $150 deposit)
AOpen Not listed on website
ASUS Not listed on website
EPoX $14 per RMA
FIC Not listed on website
Intel $0 per RMA
MSI Not listed on website
Soyo $5 per RMA
Tyan Contact place of purchase

Feel free to add more

Last edited:
well....the shipping costs To them is a given...that's just standard RMA, it's the costs of getting it back that bothers me.

And yea, there's a correction for the Abit one.
(Though, they tried to charge me $25 for my RMA even though it was within their two-years from date of manufacture warranty).

From what I've heard, MSI doesn't deal directly with end users regarding RMA. You have to contact your reseller and they have to put the RMA in for you.

Which means I won't be buying MSI anytime soon...

Abit will charge $25 if you don't have the receipt, but it's free if you do.

steve

that's another problem....not ALL ppl keep their receipts after a year.
Most other warranties like with hard drives, they don't require a receipt/invoice.

i was just wondering if anyone has delt with gigabyte and with their RMA's? i was wondering what type of RMA policy they have and if id have to pay for shipping or something?

raven

One of my XET-C boards died 6 months ago.
Had to RMA via the seller. Paid for shipping, no extra.
Since this board has been discontinued, they sent it back
to Gigabyte for repairs. Since I had glued an extra heatsink
on the southbridge, and left screw holes on the northbridge
from a fan, I wasnt sure if I would get it back or not.

3 MONTHS later, it showed back up. Same board, but repaired !

Now I got a spare MSI 694T, but thats OK....

i went to the store where i bought it from, and they said that they cant help me

is it because it is an oem???

i have no clue... i since then got a new board and chip. but i really want to get that other one fixed! it was a waste of 200 bucks!

raven

what board is it again?
if it's gigabyte, then THEY HAVE TO. It's a part of the reseller/distributor agreement that the store had to sign with Gigabyte.

MoFoQ said:
what board is it again?
if it's gigabyte, then THEY HAVE TO. It's a part of the reseller/distributor agreement that the store had to sign with Gigabyte.

thats good to hear.. ill go over and talk with them about it. cus i didnt damage the cpu, and neither did they, so it should be able to RMA right?

well i emailed gigabyte just in case, and am waiting for a responce

raven

gigabyte may be a little slow to respond since it took them about a week to respond to my inquiry about their policy.

but yea, it's the reseller's responsibility. Here's a snip from gigabyte:
Dear Sir,

We do have RMA center, but the policy is only receive the M/B from our
reseller and distributor.
The reseller and distributor will take care their end user.

Thank you for your suporting

ok.. now im just PO-ed...... im gona have to talk to some ppl, and get that store to RMA it... but seriously... what do i do, if i stick a cpu in, then it works fine for 2 weeks, then i take heatsink off, and athen lift the cpu lever, and the chip doesnt want to budge, and there is a crack in the top part of the plastic....

raven

Back