• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modding a pump to run in-line, a pictorial

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Volenti

I had to mod a cheap powerhead style pump for in-line use in a friends watercooling system, thought I would do a bit of a guide while I was at it.

The candidate, a Resun SP-2500 (1.5m head, 1400L/H max);

in_line1.jpg

The pump in a disasembled "exploded" view.
1. pump body
2. impeller chamber and outlet
3. air intake for aquarium use, fits into the impeller chamber outlet.
4. intake screen

in_line2.jpg

These are the fitting that I will be attaching to the pump, a 13mm hose joiner, and a 13mm to 25mm adaptor, both commonly available from most hardware/gardening stores.

in_line3.jpg

Another exploded view, showing all the parts ready to be assembled.
1. pump body, the sides of the raised area around the impeller are given a rough sand to help the 2 part epoxy stick and stay stuck.
2. impeller chamber, all mating surfaces given a rough sand.
3. air inlet, trimmed so that it is now flush with the inside of the outlet when it is inserted, and it's center hole blocked.
4. intake screen, screen part removed, all mating surfaces sanded
5. 13mm-25mm adaptor, 25mm end trimmed to suit the length of the modified intake screen that will partly fit inside, sanded inside.
6. 13mm-13mm adaptor, one end trimmed to fit inside the outlet on the impeller chamber, sanded.

in_line4.jpg

All parts are now assembled with 2 part epoxy, most common 2 part epoxies should work fine, however preference of course should be given for epoxies specifically designed for plastics.

in_line5.jpg

That looks good, wish it was done a few weeks ago, I won't even post what mine looks like.

Back