• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

completly passive system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anasazi

Registered
for quietness, how difficult would it be to create a watercooled setup using a radiator that wouldn't require fans? how big of a radiator would you have to have?

Rads dont need huge fans to cool them, so actaully a nice small fan will put out less noise then most pumps and cool just fine. So a small heatercore and a very quite fan is all u need. But thats just my opinion.

you'd need a heatercore about 1.5'x2' and about 1" deep. The amount of flow that would be needed to handle that kind of thing would probably be a strain for most systems with only one pump. Probably the fact that nobody has done it yet is sign that it's quite difficult, perhaps more than it's worth. In any case, you wont be getting cool temps, likely just temps that are good enough to not overheat the cpu. It would be nice to see one though, a case with one or both sides just a huge heatercore. You'd need to open up the case somehow so you get enough free air flow to pass through the heatercore while also taking away heat from the rest of the system.

Basically your best bet with passive cooled systems is getting a via C3 or an older Mac.

SURE it's possible, and not all that hard. A rad would be a new way to go, I myself havn't seen any pictures of it done before, but I have seen a few HCs in a row. I think it would be a good way to go, except when I've asked about this people have brought up valid points like: a car/truck radiator cools when the car is driving at 60mph, so unless you've got a fast computer....:D

I think it's totally possible though. I've seen some home made rads that a) worked great, and b) looked no where NEAR as efficiet as a car rad. I understand what you're trying to say (like most people don't)-you want SILENT! not quiet. Fans at all are unacceptable. I saw a german site (really regret not bookmarking it!) where someone got a huge alu heatsink and build a back on it, bolted it to the side of the case and ran it passive as a rad.

A big bucket would do. Hell, that's what I'm going to use. One of the most interesting I've seen was Gavins over at water-cooling.com rig gallery (currently down :()-he just took two copper cooling coils (I've seen them sold as water cooling kits on ebay for $25) and soldered some fins on them. Cooled his 1.4 T-bird, and if it did that, it can do anything. Or you could, of course, bury a huge propane tank 10ft under ground :)

Its more than possible- I ran with no rad and a 5gallon res for quite a while. Temps were not wonderfull after 8 hours or so- but I never run my box for more than 6 anyways.
You could do that and put a rad on and it would be fine.

Scratch what I said before, I have seen everything.

pc-rueckseite.jpg

woww- thats awesome!
I wonder what pump that is...
Mine gets really loud when it has to lift a lot (like it is now since its in a minifridge 3 feet away)
It must be powerful

i run my p4 2.0 @ 2.8 eng samp, with out any fans, i have a modified swiftech block (i put on barbs), and i have 2 heater cores from a 92 ford festeva mounted in side the case, with a c6 tranmission cooler mounted out side the case, and i get near ambiant temps. But then again i have a homemade res (from 4in PVC pipe) that holds just over 2.5 gallons, my total system capacity is right near 3 gallons. no fans anywhere in my system.

hahaha dagamore i got u beat i have a 5 gallon bucket i ran it on pure passive for a few months(like 2-3) well i loved it soooooo quite could hear my hdd!!!!(before this i had a ystech 60 and 2 delta 80's plus 5 other fans). well i ran it and got truthfully kinda high temps and the approx 5 1/2 gallons of water would heat up over lets say 6 hours of gaming so i could eat and throw ice in. well i figured this out. my room temp is like 23c i have the 5 gal bucket w/ lid now and on the lid i put an ultra quiet liek 20 cfm 80mm fan woot! low end evap cooling soooooooooo simple and it is still oh so quite... ...if u do what i did ur water temp will stay at a stable temp as long as u arent hardcore o/c'in. and well passive with a bucket woot u better not be. however have u ever seen a passive system in a 19c room get a cpu temp of 12 c???? i have mine passive doesnt mean just enough water to pump and lots oh ice...... hahah that was so awesome totally spontanious at a lan to...

Like safemode said you'll need a big rad like this.

fcee308c.jpg

Running it passive would work, but your temps will slowly creep up unless you keep it open to the air. I will be using this in a wood box so I'm using two Rotron fans down volted for somewhat quietness. Also as safemode said you'll need a pretty hefty pump to get any decent flow through it which is why I picked up a 1140GPH pump to push the coolant through.

FRAGN'STIEN said:
Like safemode said you'll need a big rad like this.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/pe6a6a43008f7a67cec07b1d63e0497a6/fcee308c.jpg[img]

Running it passive would work, but your temps will slowly creep up unless you keep it open to the air. I will be using this in a wood box so I'm using two Rotron fans down volted for somewhat quietness. Also as safemode said you'll need a pretty hefty pump to get any decent flow through it which is why I picked up a 1140GPH pump to push the coolant through. [/B][/QUOTE]

what pump and rad are you using? how much did they cost?

i was thinking maybe getting a huge rad like that then make one hell of a fan shroud somehow and have a very undervolted, slower than you'd ever imagine 120mm fan pulling air through the shroud. it'd be silent and still put the water at ambient :)

The rad I bought off Ebay. It's a Lytron 6320 all copper rad. The pump I'm using with this project is a Lifeguard Quiet one pump it's rated at 1140GPH and a shut off head of 15' although I would recommend an Iwaki with it's lower wattage. The Lifeguard puts out 85w which is a little high, but I got a real good deal on it. This will all be in a wood box with two Comair Rotron Patriot fans. I'm setting this up for a multiple block project, ie: CPU, GPU, NB, HDD all in parallel run though manafolds. Not really for any performance gains, but just for fun as this setup would just be overkill any other way.

FRAGN'STIEN said:
The rad I bought off Ebay. It's a Lytron 6320 all copper rad. The pump I'm using with this project is a Lifeguard Quiet one pump it's rated at 1140GPH and a shut off head of 15' although I would recommend an Iwaki with it's lower wattage. The Lifeguard puts out 85w which is a little high, but I got a real good deal on it. This will all be in a wood box with two Comair Rotron Patriot fans. I'm setting this up for a multiple block project, ie: CPU, GPU, NB, HDD all in parallel run though manafolds. Not really for any performance gains, but just for fun as this setup would just be overkill any other way.

I have a similar rig. I have a Lytron aluminum dual-fan rad and a Little Giant 2-MDQ-SC, which is a high-pressure pump like the Iwaki. A couple Lytron 6320's are listed on eBay as I write this. I am selling mine too, complete with 2 Comair-Rotron Patriot fans. Since I run them at half-speed, the noise is a very tolerable 30dB (or less). It's whisper quiet, and my system will not exceed 8C over ambient running the most aggressive CPU burn-in programs.

ok, about half an hour ago i was looking in the ultimate case thread and saw a rad called a lytron or whatever, and didnt know what it was so looked it up and saw this site http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/project__airspirits_watercoole.php he was saying his rad was backing up the flow alot and saw some pics of similar rads here and was just wondering if anyone has tried to mod one like it to get higher flow, eg. saw off the tubing half way, then make it paralell?

warenb said:
ok, about half an hour ago i was looking in the ultimate case thread and saw a rad called a lytron or whatever, and didnt know what it was so looked it up and saw this site http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/project__airspirits_watercoole.php he was saying his rad was backing up the flow alot and saw some pics of similar rads here and was just wondering if anyone has tried to mod one like it to get higher flow, eg. saw off the tubing half way, then make it paralell?

No, I don't have experience with this type of setup. I would probably get two rads with 1/2" in/out ports and run a Y-split from the pump (3/4") to the two rads (1/2" + 1/2"). Another idea is to place a ball valve on the out port of the pump and limit the flow coming out. Any way you slice it, that pump is huge and it is designed for very high pressure. Personally, I would get a smaller pressure pump or limit the flow. Iwaki, Little Giant, and Velocity make hi-pressure pumps with less flow.

Back