• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is better? the fastest RDRAM or the fastest DDR SDRAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You'll have to figure out what you mean by better. For sheer bandwidth, RDRAM will beat DDR any day of the week. If you want to talk latency, DDR is better than RDRAM.

~THT

the latency will go up respective to the bandwidth though, the more bandwidth used the higher the latency - so if there is a big enough max bandwidth gap between DDR and RD the latency wont show through as too much of a problem...but yeah RD sucks for latency

overall RDRAM is better IMO

When talking just raw performance 1066 Rambus is currently better then single channel DDR. However a granite bay board /w dual channel matches its bandwidth and is much more overclockable. Of course Rambus costs a lot more money and is an 'on the way out' technology.. so in a way Rambus is better (performance) but in many ways it's not as good (price to performance, upgradeablity etc)

RDRAM is faster hands down. But, dual channel DDR is a close second at this point. If the bet were price to performance, you would have won. But, unfortunately he's right, just for the wrong reasons.

the E7205 was shown to lose to the I850e in another thread - so still DCDDR is behind, but as crystal says it must be extremely close now

ssgohan434 said:
i dont care about bandwith, i need to know which one is faster, so that is DDR rite cuz of the lower latency times?

I think THT summed it up:

You'll have to figure out what you mean by better. For sheer bandwidth, RDRAM will beat DDR any day of the week. If you want to talk latency, DDR is better than RDRAM.

So which one is faster depends on how the memory is being used. I think RDRAM was originally developed with streaming media in mind where data would essentially pass through memory very quickly. DDR on the other hand would be better for servers which have to deal with a lot of random seeks.

Any DDR will blow RDRAM out of the water. It's also funny that RDRAM is 2.5 times more expensive than DDR. lol

smish said:
Any DDR will blow RDRAM out of the water. It's also funny that RDRAM is 2.5 times more expensive than DDR. lol

Both statements are false. RDRAM still holds a small performance edge over DDR and the prices are not that great... like was mentioned, just check out price watch.

However, like was posted earlier, RDRAM is slipping once the dual channel DDR arrives in full force. DDR keeps getting better and RDRAM is fading. DDR is the way of the future, but for right now, RDRAM still barely clings to the crown of being the fastest. Probably won't be that way in a few months though.

instead of the normal 64bit channel its a 128bit - which gives a theoretical 2x bandwidth - in my view this must be an expensive venture for the motherboard manufacturers, as SDRAM already has ALOT of signal lines running from the memory to the northbridge - this is only adding to the problem

I was talking with a lawyer who represents rambus- apparently they have dug themselves a deep finacial hole.
They were good (and still are)- but they are defiently not what you want at this point.

Back