• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is less Memory better than more?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnWishedLegacy

Are TWO heads better than FOUR?

[licky licky brown nose]Could any of you super intelegent, handsome and sophisticated Guru's help me with a tiny little problemo? [/licky licky brown nose]

I currently have 255mb Ram spread across four sticks- I dont know the size of each one but they are two small size and two larger size- cant get a ruler in my machine yet- i'll measure when I put a new Heatsink on my Northbridge (accident involving half the thermal pad being pulled off- no probs yet).

What I want to know is this.... If i had TWO sticks of Ram that add up to about 255mb instead of using the four sticks I currently use- will I get any extra stability for whatever reason? Or is there any reason to the negative?

I'm not overclocked, and don't intend to be until I can get a system of my own to mess with, but would it be a worthy investment (plus I can use my current Ram on my new system- if I ever get round to building it).

Running Win ME (so the "Sweet Spot" is about 500mb I think), Rest of it's on my sig.

Thanks- a cookie to the first person to sort it out :)

Last edited:
well- two sticks are better just because of the weakest link principle. It only takes one bad ram stick to ruin everything.
really, I would not go out and buy some different sticks for the sole purpose of having less. As long as they are all the same speed and arent having too many problems just keep it like it is.
The biggest stablilty gain you could get would be from ditching me and going xp.

Im planning from going to Win2k, I keep seeing an unopened copy of it at work and I'm more than tempted to ask the Property department if I can have for free, or at least at trade value.

As for the Memory thing- theres not much difference unless I have faulty Ram anyway but it wouldnt hurt. Thanks :)

I was thinking about the Weakest Link effect but I just couldnt remember what the damn thing was called.

I don't know what speeds the current sticks are- its all the stuff that was in my system when I bought it from the store (probably Generic OEM garbage anyway), but when I'm getting my new system sorted- i'll just use the Memory from my current system and have less in this one.

Thanks again :D

Back