• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone see this months maximumpc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bongo

Anyone see this months maximumpc?

I use to like them when they were called boot, but everything since the first editor died they've been going downhill.

Anyways they lost all credibility with me th month. They were reviewing 4 water/phasechange cooling systems and they got a whole mess of things wrong. There's way too many to list but one that struck me most was in the pos/neg comments they said in the negative attributes of the innovatek kit that it comes with a "low end" pump. Now if you think a eheim is a low end or even "sluggish pump" as they said then........well lets leave that at that.

Well the other thing was that they gave the innovatek kit a 8 and a koolance:mad: ! a 9.:rolleyes:

And then the part where they explained how watercooling works just made me sick.:mad: :mad:

I just get ****ed when I see these magazines write things and act like they know wtf there talking about.

Well they are amusing to read every once in a while, but I can picture some computer n00b going out and buying a Prometia that they recommend and end up ruinning his comp., and then blaming the manufacterer.

Just something to amuse you guys :D

Maga...zines? What are those...

I stopped buying all computer related magazines when I got the internet. No use. Especially Maximum PC...only have 3 issues...it was worthless. Boot was where it was at.

bongo said:

Well the other thing was that they gave the innovatek kit a 8 and a koolance:mad: ! a 9.:rolleyes:

Well if its the Exos than its probably because all the sutff runs off of the PSU instead of 120v. Yeah I know that would be still stupid though, :)

Liss said:
doesn't the innovatek kit use a 1046?
which is only 80gph????????..
but other them that ehiem is good :)

Yeah, but it's still better than any Koolance solution.

mfpmaz lol, What is this 'print media' you speak of?

The 1046, as for that, it seems like Innovatek would use a higher flow pump, what's up with that?

Last edited:
Molybdym said:
mfpmaz lol, What is this 'print media' you speak of?

The 1046, as for that, it seems like Innovatek would use a higher flow pump, what's up with that?

The kits are also sold with a 1048 by the way... depends on what you pick.

Yah, I used to read MPC, but the quality just kept dropping.

Had my subscription since boot 4 ... still have it. My biggest MaxPC complaint is that they keep the "Minimum BS" line on the front cover ... when that's really the one thing that keeps increasing. Fewer and fewer articles actually tell me something I didn't know or describe something before it comes out. The last 6 months, I've essentially used it as "Yesterday's News" to make sure there wasn't something I had missed ... Got 9 months left on the subscription ... oh, well.

In their "Gear of the Year" they listed the innovatek kit as the "Overclocking Gear of the Year". ok, its prob the best BEGINNER kit, but you really could do better. Not to mention they listed the price $100 higher than what it actually is. They don't know sh*t about water or extreme cooling. And they are SUPER anal about benchmarks. If a machine gets 5 (yes FIVE) FPS less than another machine with the same video card they think it has some kind of major defect.

JML said:
They don't know sh*t about water or extreme cooling.
basically, Overclocking in general!!

and that's where & why we here!! OC.com Forum!! ;)

i myself too used to be a monthly reader of MPC, but that was loooooong time ago........ and as many did, i've stop buying any computer related magazine for so long.

I still get MPC cause I like the "case of the month" feature and some of the reviews and articles. For some reason though, they say they are "MAXIMUM" pc, but they review compaqs, dell, and the like all the time. Ok, who here buys complete machines instead of building their own? Yeah, thats what I thought.

JML said:
I still get MPC cause I like the "case of the month" feature and some of the reviews and articles. For some reason though, they say they are "MAXIMUM" pc, but they review compaqs, dell, and the like all the time. Ok, who here buys complete machines instead of building their own? Yeah, thats what I thought.

i dont think that any comnputer magazine could live if it catered to just the modders or water cooling people, you have to throw in some main brand stuff if you want to sell more then a few thousnd every month. it would be like a motorcycle mag for just the duck riders, every duck owner would buy it but they would not make or sell enought to put out a good mag every month. and for a main stream mag i think they do a good job of leting us know whats on the market and what to expect from customers.

I think the magazines are good for introducing noobs to the world of what we do. If people aren't even aware that they CAN overclock or customize their PCs than they would never attempt to do so right?

i totally agree with bongo... i had a sudden rush of anger as i was reading that.

i totaly agree with dagamor and wangster MPC is pretty much the reason why i know what i know now i actually joined my computer class at school shortly after began my subscription and today i'm still an avid reader although i do belive the minimum bs part is false advertisement

Mike K said:
I just got it today. And you should take their advice and TURN ON your radiator.:rolleyes: LOL, where's the switch to turn it on?

I hope they are talking about a kit in which the "radiator" is the fan/radiator box or something.

This was under helpful tips near the end of the article.

Turn on parts (such as radiators) to allow bubbles to float up towards your fill hole.

They didn't say it in regards to a kit or anything, just tips for when you are setting one up.

Back