• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You may be a winner: WB prize.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Since87

Over the last couple days, there has been some discussion in this thread of a prize to be offered to DIY waterblock builders.

If you have any comments about this idea, please make them in this thread.

This prize would be paid for by members of oc-forums. If you are interested in contributing money towards such a prize, please let me know by post or PM how much you would be willing to contribute.

The way I am envisioning this, is that there would be a five member prize committee (AKA the Mooseworks) that would be responsible for coming up with the details of this plan. There would be one chairman who would act as secretary-treasurer of the committe and recruit the other four members of the committee. (Recruit, because the chairman would need other people he felt he could work with easily.)

I have volunteered to do the job of committee chair for a year, but would happily see someone else take the job.

If you would be interested in being involved in such a committee, or would like to nominate someone else to such a committee, please let me know.

this is pretty dang cool man, what kind of prizes are we talking about? whats the timeframe of the testing and whatnots? Im interested in entering, Ill find out in the next few days if my newest creation will be in this....
A little more info should be posted, It appears the prizes are gonna be money, I would like to know about this one

I think someone pointed out in the other thread that members of the committee that is overseeing this prize/contest would not be eligible to win, just to throw that out there for anyone thinking about it........

JFettig said:
this is pretty dang cool man, what kind of prizes are we talking about? whats the timeframe of the testing and whatnots? Im interested in entering, Ill find out in the next few days if my newest creation will be in this....
A little more info should be posted, It appears the prizes are gonna be money, I would like to know about this one

The prize would be cash donated by people interested in seeing the results of such testing. (I suppose if someone donated hardware, that could be part of the prize too.

I'm thinking a timeframe of 6 months to a year. That should give interested parties time to get a design built and sent to Bill for testing. (I'm open to suggestions here.) Also, I'd like to see such a contest be ongoing. I'd be willing to kick in $25 every six months or so for something like this, I don't think the prize could amount to much if it was done on too frequent a basis.

Keep in mind that right now I'm just tossing the idea out there to see what people think. In the thread I linked, several people said they would be willing to contribute to something like this. Obviously, without a certain amount in donations, this idea is not worth the trouble. ($200? $500?)

The way I envision it:

If there is enough interest shown in terms of donors and people willing to help as committee members, then the committe would be put together.

I (or any other responsible member who wants the job) would put together a committee, and the committee would hammer out the details.

Once the details were worked out sufficiently, the details would be posted, and donations would be solicited.

At the end of the contest period, a winner would be selected. (Possibly "winners" if there were enough donations?) Whatever had been donated would then be awarded to the winner(s).

Albigger said:
I think someone pointed out in the other thread that members of the committee that is overseeing this prize/contest would not be eligible to win, just to throw that out there for anyone thinking about it........

And neither would relatives, business associates, yada yada yada. Standard contest boilerpate would apply.

I am willing to be involved. I have no plans to create a WB myself so there would be no conflict. If I'm needed/wanted I'm here...

That's all fine and dandy, but...

One has to remember that BillA's testing costs $90, which effectively makes it a luxury to have one's block tested, or more specifically, good if one has an intention of commercializing it, for which Bill's got another price list.

So seeing that the target audience of such a contest will be fairly limited, and that (I believe) it to be premature to start something like this, without seeing how often people will submit a block for testing/contest, I'm afraid that this idea isn't going to work, at least not right now.

Besides, what would the prize be?

bigben2k said:
That's all fine and dandy, but...

One has to remember that BillA's testing costs $90, which effectively makes it a luxury to have one's block tested, or more specifically, good if one has an intention of commercializing it, for which Bill's got another price list.

So seeing that the target audience of such a contest will be fairly limited, and that (I believe) it to be premature to start something like this, without seeing how often people will submit a block for testing/contest, I'm afraid that this idea isn't going to work, at least not right now.

Besides, what would the prize be?

The thread I linked above also discusses possibilities for interested parties to subsidize testing costs for contestants. I'm hoping that will get going too, and I will contribute to both. (prize and testing subsidies) I consider BillA's DIY testing offer to be cheap at twice the price he's asking.

I believe the size of the target audience remains to be seen. There are a lot more WB useres than designers. If a small fraction of those interested in better WB designs donate an average of $10 this contest could have a substantial prize.

I expect the number of blocks submitted for testing, and the quality of the blocks submitted for testing, is likely to be substantially higher if this contest goes forward.

To (likely mangle a) quote from someone or other talking about something much more important than a WB contest:

"If not us, who? If not now, when?"

nikhsub1 said:
I am willing to be involved. I have no plans to create a WB myself so there would be no conflict. If I'm needed/wanted I'm here...

If I end up being chair of such a contest I'd be happy to have you on the committee.

Any interest in pledging a donation to help with momentum?

Since87 said:

If I end up being chair of such a contest I'd be happy to have you on the committee.

Any interest in pledging a donation to help with momentum?
Yes I could, what do you see as an appropriate amount?

nikhsub1 said:

Yes I could, what do you see as an appropriate amount?

I will put in $25, but anything you want to pledge would be great.

As far as I'm concerned the prize can be named after the largest donor. The Sam Moneybags Watercooling Award goes to...

This is not really the right place for subsidy requests. BillA and Unloaded were discussing creation of a sticky for this purpose in the thread I linked in the first post.

YGPM

have you read my idea in the other thread? the idea to have a section inside watercooling for this, have all the necessary threads just floating around in there instead of covering half of the page in stickys

JFettig,

Yes, I saw that. I believe only one additional sticky has been proposed for a subsidy thread. I'm going to leave that issue up to whoever picks up the ball on that, and the moderators.

I would say the first step is when JoeC gets back, if thats how its gonna be then he is the person(I knwo others can do it too) to do it, I am really interested in this for the near future as Im still working things out, I was hoping to test my first prototype today, but I didnt get it sealed properly(dont ask:p)

Bump.

So is there much interest out there in supporting this?

Or would a mechanism for subsidizing the cost of BillA's block testing be of more interest to people?

I'm interested in joining in on the committee, but only once my design has been submitted.

bigben2k said:
I'm interested in joining in on the committee, but only once my design has been submitted.

You are aware committee members wouldn't be able to win right?

thats what he is saying, submit and do the contest then join... He wants to try to win before he joins, thats basicly what He is saying

Back