• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Or Bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2364

Just wanted to take a pole and see what the percent of ppl have had a positive experiance with water cooling and who has had a negative experinace....so post away

those sound like good options Iron Hawk

I just wanna get a go ahead from matt2364 since he started the thread (don't wanna step on any toes :p )

Yeah, a poll would be great. My initial experience was bad(because of a leak) but overall I am extremely glad I got into watercooling.

I have had great experience! only broke one motherboard because of my jimmiriggin holddown for a chipset block, made my own 'nuts' for the bolts:p they nocked off an inductor and thats about it, ooh, when I tried to watercool my voodoo 3 way back in the day, No leaks nothing, it just never worked cince(way back in popcan days;))

from everything i have heard about water cooling, the experiences are good except in cases of user error (ie leaks, component choices that dont match system requirements).

I wouldn't say initial bad experience is BAD. You guys need to look at it as an offering to the OC gods.

I have offered my GF3 to the OC gods when I start Water Cooling. It is a sacrifise I made then so that now I have no leak and my cpu/system Temp are low.

With all due respect to the initial post...maybe it would make sense to try to rephrase that question. After all most of us had some kind of BAD experience when first starting out, especially when building a system from scratch instead of buying a kit.
Once the "scratch-system" works, most will have had a "good" experience (no more screeching fans) even if the overall temps were not THAT good.
Therefore many had a BAD and a GOOD experience which is difficult to quantify in a poll result.

I try to offer a few alternative questions:

A:) Did your final (working) watercooling system live up to your initial expectations?

B:) Were the actual results of a watercooling system worth the sacrifices in form of money and work hours spent?

C:) Considering all the new gained knowledge in plumbing, chemistry, electronics and thermo dynamics as well as interaction with other people in this forum, was the "road travelled" more important than the final bragging rights of lowest temps?

I have been W/Cing less then a year and have always had a good experience, haven't killed anything yet, but I'm very anal about testing things before they go in my comp, especially my own blocks:D

Ok, the answer is... GOOD

Water Cooling is fun. It is quiet and makes me have a better quality of sleeping time (My computer is in my room running 24/7/365 downloading). The lower temp is a bonus after water cooling. It makes OC much easier. The experience is definately good, worth spending time to read/research/ work on it.

FRAGN'STIEN said:
I have been W/Cing less then a year and have always had a good experience, haven't killed anything yet, but I'm very anal about testing things before they go in my comp, especially my own blocks:D

is it a trend? I found alot of WC people are anal about certain things

<=-=-nothing goes in my baby without being tested for 2 days 24/7

btw is it cheaper to make your own blocks then to buy premade?

if so anyone care to make me a block ?? am kinda tight on cash and i REALLy wanna do it. being a water vergin sucks

A Did your final (working) watercooling system live up to your initial expectations?
yes:D but I want more now
B Were the actual results of a watercooling system worth the sacrifices in form of money and work hours spent?
yes, time = 10hr reasrch 4hr to make first 2 blocks (didn't like the size of the first one) 1hr for pump fan and rad.
2hr cutting case and putting it all in.
yes cost total in block 1 free (old stock), block 2 $5 (good copper), barbs free, hose $4, pump $35 rad and fan $40, res $10
C Considering all the new gained knowledge in plumbing, chemistry, electronics and thermo dynamics as well as interaction with other people in this forum, was the "road travelled" more important than the final bragging rights of lowest temps?
priceless :clap:

hp98173 said:
<=-=-nothing goes in my baby without being tested for 2 days 24/7

btw is it cheaper to make your own blocks then to buy premade?

if so anyone care to make me a block ?? am kinda tight on cash and i REALLy wanna do it. being a water vergin sucks

If you already have the tools then yes it's cheaper, if not then buy one premade. You can build a decent block with a drillpress like I do, but if you want premo work then you need a mill$$$

Back