• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about corsair xms pc2700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrackeRheaD

Registered
Sorry for the questions but I am kinda new to oc'ing and definently new to AMD and DDR systems. When I set the memory to 166MHz and run it at cas 2 (corsair recommended settings), it runs great. Sandra scores around 2100 or so for mem benchmark (kinda low?) and 3dmark scores 13569. If I up the mem to 200 MHz even setting it at SPD, my performance drops way down. I lose over 3k on 3dmark and Sandra drops to 1300+. I know that is pushing the memory and its not synching with the fsb (all stock/auto settings in bios) but shouldnt I get at least a little improvement instead of the dramatic :) drops I am getting? I have tried a little fsb oc'ing but I guess I dont wanna push my luck. Only 1 side intake and 2 rear output fans and cpu has retail fan/hs. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions??
Thanks In Advance
CrackeR

Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra Plat
Antec True Power 550
512 meg Corsair XMS pc2700
AMD 2400+
Radeon 9700 Pro (13569 3DMarks)
SB Audigy 2 Plat
40 GB Maxtor ATA133 w/XP Pro SP1
Dual 80 GB Maxtor ATA133's in Raid 0
Etc...Etc...Etc.....

The drop your experiencing is a little suprising to me but its mainly due to using the stock timings and not running at 1:1 with the FSB. If your using the stock HSF I would strongly recommend getting a new HSF. An SLK800 would come to mind, the best performing heatsink and only about $30.

I will be upgrading the cpu HSF within a week or 2. Comp show soon at arena here. I have checked out that HS.....I will give it a try. I wanted to upgrade the cooling anyways. I run about 37-40+c or so at idle and 43-45c stressed. I know this isnt too high, still a little higher then I'd like to see. I am also going to add 2 more intake fans (1 as hd cooler). That ought to help a little I hope. Anyways, it still leaves me a little curios about the Sandra results and upgraded mem? Would upgrading the mem to a higher rating help me out at all? Also, just remember, anyone know if running 2 sticks of mem (pc2700 or higher) on this mobo cause probs or...?

Back