• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ouch.. these temps are high

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coog

Registered
Just assembled the soyo dragon kt400 and 2100+...

Cooling with swift mcw5000-a, 41/2 x 41/2 rad and 185gph no-name pump

39C on die-- ouch!! that hurts

cha is 26C

This bad boy runs a lot hotter than my celeron! But its a heck of a lot quicker :)

With those temps won't see much for oc'n but you know I'll try!
wish me luck!

Really? I lapped the swiftech and the chip and put it together with arctic3.. I was thinkin about changing from 3/8 ID to 1/2 ID for more flow.. According to what I read in the forum flow is where it's at.. I've got a pond pump I used to use that's 385 gph but I shelfed it in favor of the submersable. The only thing I'm worried about are those quick connect fittings on the swiftech.

Anyone have problems with these quick connect's leaking??

Coog said:
Really? I lapped the swiftech and the chip and put it together with arctic3.. I was thinkin about changing from 3/8 ID to 1/2 ID for more flow.. According to what I read in the forum flow is where it's at.. I've got a pond pump I used to use that's 385 gph but I shelfed it in favor of the submersable. The only thing I'm worried about are those quick connect fittings on the swiftech.

Anyone have problems with these quick connect's leaking??

I don't use swiftech products so I couldn't help you there. I would say going with a inline setup you would see better temps; maybe 5C better at the most. Submersing your pump in a res is always going to add heat to the water. Atleast more so than an inline pump. Plus your rad seems a bit small. I don't know what kind you got, but if it's a small heater core you should be ok. I would look into a bigger rad in the future. Atleast one that's 6X6 with a 2 inch thinkness.

Wot voltage are you running at? My xp2200 sits at 33c @ 1.68v. maby its your setup - good air flow through your heatercore....etc
More details about your setup would help.

MDA.

the last two posts by syscrusher and wangster both have good advice... the largest factor on which you can improve is your pump - 185 gph is measily and, if its a no-name, with the amount of resistance in any pc watercooling i think its safe to say it is pumping at a very low rate because its head/gph ratio is terrible.

thats my guess at what could help you more than anything rigth off, but theres no reason to guess if you have another pump sitting right there... why dont you put that other pump into your setup temporarily and see if it yields a better flowrate and temps.

as wangster said, head is a very important factor in determining the quality of pumps and expected performance in pc applications. the graph of gph against head is not linear for water pumps... this means that at more feet of head the pump will pump less and less gph - how much less depends on the graph for your pump. the better the pump, the more gph it pushes at more feet of head. for example your pump is rated to push 185 gph at 0'head... there is a danner mag someone else was purchasing that reportedly pushed 450 gph at 1' head. of course the second pump would be much more expensive, but the results would also be better by some amount.

Not sure what the voltage is at.. I just fired it up this weekend and set everything to auto in the bios, I'll check it out when I get home tonight. The rad type is escaping me I bought it from either becooling or 2cooltech over 2 years ago.. Its about an inch thick and the finned area is like 4.5x4.5 with a 1" shroud pushing air with 120mm fan... The whole system is as follows:

Soyo kt400 dragon with xp2100+
256 samsung pc3200
asus geforce4 440mx with 64m ddr
2 20g western digital ata100

I'll try the bigger inline tonight and check voltage on the cpu. I think I'll regrease and reassemble too.. sometimes that helps( air gaps)

Coog said:
.. I was thinkin about changing from 3/8 ID to 1/2 ID for more flow.. According to what I read in the forum flow is where it's at..

With that block, you'll need to adaptor to use 1/2" ID tubing, and because the adaptors are only 3/8" ID you really won't be gaining anything. I'd go for bigger pump as suggested. And your rad is it one of those big cube type ones or a thin oil/tranny cooler type? Post a pic or a link to a pic similar to your rad plz.

peace.
unloaded

Yea it's the first one.. I made a shroud that's about an inch and a half deep. Been doing good for me but it may have met it's match with this athlon :)

If that BECOOLING radiator is the one you have you will definetly benefit from a larger heatercore, like the Chevetter heatercore pictured right under it

Bad news.. I pulled the inline pump I have apart to clean it up and theres a broken tab on one of the screws on the front cover.. Leaks now! dangit! Good news is I reapplied the as3 and put it back together with shims on the springs of the WB for more pressure.. Dropped temps 4c.

I'll have to get another pump so for now she sits at 35C

Thanks for all the input!

Hey I would not complain, with my air cooling right now my load temps are 57C and Idle 42C, but it is ok bc water cooling is coming in less than a week...

Back