• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nuts, and bolts and springs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2364

about to install a water block and wanted to know the order of all of the nuts, bolts and springs, that came with my maze 3 block....

4 hole mounting, do you know of any tutorials on how to do this, or even just the order that they go into, and do you have to take off the motherboard to install this?

matt2364 said:
4 hole mounting, do you know of any tutorials on how to do this, or even just the order that they go into, and do you have to take off the motherboard to install this?
Yes you need to take the mobo out, but just once, when the bolts are installed, you won't need to take the mobo out to remove/change the WB.

1. Put a plastic washer on the long bolt.
2. Put the bolt through the back of the mobo so the stud comes out the front of the mobo (the head of the bolt on the back)
3. Put a plastic washer over the stud in front
4. Put a nut on and screw it down tight, don't crush your mobo tight, just tight enough so the stud is firm and doesn't spin.
5. Put CPU in socket with proper thermal grease.
6. Place WB on CPU, hold WB down as to not disturb the TIM (thermal grease)
7. Put another plastic washer so it is the first thing touching the WB
8. Spring (or not, I don't use them)
9. Thumb screws to tighten the sucker down. Keep holding the WB until you are done tightening all the thumbscrews. Make sure you tighten each one a little at a time, going diagonally.

Any particular reason you don't use springs to mount your waterblocks nikhsub1? Just curious. :D

KRS-One said:
Any particular reason you don't use springs to mount your waterblocks nikhsub1? Just curious. :D
Yes. I find that I can tell the pressure of the bolts on the block without springs much better than with springs. Plus, It makes installing the block much easier and quicker, no springs to fight with. I have also found that sometimes coils of the springs can get bound up on the stud threads and you think the bolt is tight, and it is, except there is very little pressure on the block, it is on the stud.

Back