• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tools for making water blocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheezboy

I am interested in making some water blocks to test out for school projects and I wanted to know what tools are used to make them and if a drill press is used what type of bits. Thanks.

Drill press or mill, and some titanium bits AFAIK. I'm not as current on tool technology as I used to, so I dunno if someone has come out with a better type of bit. :)

theres many methods, dremel, drillpress, mill, edm, etc, Milling is prob the best(money and whatnots) you need end mills, TiN coated ones are good, but carbide ones are better, The TiN coated ones get dull probably faster than carbide, A ton faster, You can convert a drillpress and risk screing it up, to a mill, or I should say 'drill press with cross vice'
or cross drilled blocks or whatever, theres tons of ways to do it, check out the gallery, you can see what ones are milled and what ones are drilled

There's really no need to spend big bucks on titanium drill bits if you use them right. I buy the cheapest black oxide bits I can find. I've built five blocks and I'm still on the same set, still as sharp as could be too. As far as end mills go I wouldn't know.

end mills, after a few blocks with a TiN coated HSS EM, it likes to not cut so well, Either replace them or buy some carbide ones

This is in copper, it does great in aluminum longer

thanks for the information guys i'll have to look into your recommendations

Back