• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just got my Kingston DDR 2700 256MB, it says infineon, how far will it overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
grr

That is dissapointing, the Infineon chips don't have the stellar track record of the Winbond or Kingston chips. Try it fast, and send it back if it doesn't perform. You never know till you try it. It looks like Kingston is using various types of chips, whatever is cheapest at the moment. I can't recommend buying it at this stage unless you can ascertain which chips it carries.

Re: just got my Kingston DDR 2700 256MB, it says infineon, how far will it overclock?

ssgohan434 said:
damn im dissapointed. Its a DDR 2700 Kingston ValueRAM from Newegg. the chips are infineon. i was hopin for the WINBOND ones. how far will these overclock?
i guess your answer could lead to my post here

How is the Non-Windbond Kingston if you're not overclocking? Will it reach the stock numbers it is supposed to, or is it bad too, and better to get something else?

It's still fine at rated spec. There is very little ram on the market that isn't these days. I've heard of Winbond BH6 bearing Value Ram, some bearing Kingston branded chips, some with Samsung, and now some with Infineon. The Winbond and Kingston chips appear to be one and the same, either reaching 428-436MHz at cas 2,3,3,7 on only 2.7V on 845e boards. I have the Kingston chips on mine. The Samsung seems to be good, but tops out at lower clock rates. Just over 400MHz seems to be the area it tops out in, but I haven't tried it myself. It requires more voltage and looser timings to get anywhere near the range the Winbond/Kingston chips routinely deliver. While Infineon dominated during the SDR days, their DDR products seem to be clearly inferior. Very few reports that I have seen produced an impressive overclock. But it will run fine at rated spec. And Kingston is a company that stands behind their products with a lifetime warranty, so it's hard to get burned using it for general use.

Back