• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial Ram will not run on aggresive timings!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cozmo_d

Here we go

Had 1 stick of Crucial 256mb 2700 ddr 333 mhz cas 2.5

had it runing on all aggresive timings except had too leave it runing @ cas 2.5

It would run for about 1 hour @ cas 2 with the vdim @ 2.85v
then it would freeze up so I went back to Cas 2.5 @ 2.65v with aggresive timings set all was well

Now tonight I added another stick of Crucial 128mb 2700 ddr 333 mhz cas 2.5

Now after I installed it it will not boot unless I set all the aggresive timings back to default then it boots n/p

Is crucial skimping on the quality or what else could be causing this ?

I considered that my Power supply is not good enough
Sparke 350v

but all the voltages look good in hardware doctor

I tryed pushing the voltage on the vdim too 2.85 & reseting the aggresive timings but still no boot to the o/s

very frustrating pay top dollar for good ram & still cant run aggresive timings.

Im going to go throught the timings 1 @ a time & see if I can decifer wich timing is creating the issue guess it could be more than one timing as well

be back later for update on progress :mad:

Ok I went throught the timings seems that

Dram Command rate set @ 1t was the bugger

All other timings are now set to aggresive except
cas2.5= 2.5 :mad:
Dram Command rate= 2t :mad:
Enhanced DDR = Disabled :mad:
Vdimm @ 2.65

maybe im going to be buying my ram elseware in the future

Is it possible that because Im not using an xp processor yet that.... That is the problem ???

You cannot buy something rated at a certain speed, and expect it to perform better than rated.

Sometimes we get lucky, sometimes we don't.

Roger that

Well I couldnt find any cas2 DDR from crucial maybe I just wasent looking in the right place cuz im preaty danged sure they make it

thx for the heads up I realy didnt consider that :)

cozmo_d said:
Roger that

Well I couldnt find any cas2 DDR from crucial maybe I just wasent looking in the right place cuz im preaty danged sure they make it

thx for the heads up I realy didnt consider that :)

kind of suprising though. crucial will USUALLY run at more aggressive timings.

Figures.

my new stick of 512 fails to run better timings than its rated - thats crucial...I havent tried overclocking with it yet though, im gonna give it a go when I get home...

You need to step the voltage up and burn the Crucial RAM in at each voltage increase to get the most out of it. Crucal RAM likes a lot of voltage to perform well. I have both my sticks of Crucial 256meg PC2100 at 172fsb with 2.5, 2, 6, 2, 2t for timings and am able to run Prime95 for twenty four hours stable. As other have said though it can also be the luck of the draw.

turboalpine

Crucial ram just has a lot better reputation than it deserves. I've been walking the fine line of SDRAM clock rate capability since the advent of the BX chipset, and Micron IC's have always been the poorest performers. They usually do fine at rated spec, but don't expect much more.

Crucial is a retail sales arm owned by Micron, one of the world's large DRAM manufacturers. People like Crucial because it is American company, they recognize the brand name, see the ads, like the professional service and support, and hear good things about them from others. But Crucial, nor any ram carrying Micron IC's, simply is not as high a performance solution as that sold for the same money by others. In the SDR days Infineon clearly outperformed Micron, and in the DDR days first Samsung showed how average Micron IC's are and now Winbond is setting the pace.

While some will swear by their Crucial, I swear at it. While some might overclock decently, it is the exception rather than the rule. You have to remember, I have had the chance to evaluate thousands of sticks of sdram since its introduction, a sample size that prevents you from being mislead by a statistically insignificant exception.

So you suggest Winbond Larva ???

Im about too build a p4 system with ddr ill give winbond a try if thats your suggestion

Winbond seems to be the consistant winner. Corsair uses the 6ns version on their PC3200C2 ram, and the 5ns version on their PC3500. These are two of the best choices to be had. And every other quality module I've seen that uses the 6ns Winbond has done very well. It's hard to fault choosing Winbond at present, it truly seems the cream of the crop.

O, BTW, your Sparkle 350 is not the issue. They are stout, stout, stout.

i was able to get my cruical ram (see sig and bought at newegg) to run aggressive timings with my fsb cranked at 133. anything higher it would cr@p out. wait i think i was able to run aggressive times with my fsb at 140. ill double check when i get home. ;)

Hmmm I've had 2 x 256mb pc2100 sticks for almost a year now, both running 2-5-2-1T at 166, 2.9v. I added the TT heat spreaders though which probably helps alot

also trying to o/c two sticks of ram is harder than one stick. every stick of ram is different and respond different. one may be able to handle cas2 and the other only cas2.5 and one might be able to handle 1t comand rate and the other only 2t comand. it is always better if you are trying to run fastest timings to run 1 512meg strip instead of 2 256mmeg strips!

good luck

My past Crucial 2100 OC'ed nicely , but ALL my past Crucial 2700 "NEVER" did well above its rated speed or CAS2 . My .02

Thx for the replys all

After I got this xp2100t-bred Im running the
FSB @ 177 but the timings still wont budge I realy think its the second stik of 128 thats stoping me Ive been burning in the chip & ram every chance I get but if I set any of the timings to agresive Prime 95 coughs up errors. o well after a few months Ill upgrade the ram

I just got my new Epox 8k5A up and running with an Athlon 1700XP+ and a stick of Crucial 2700 ram. The ram won't pass Memtest86 at all above the "fast" dram settings (it has two more above that, fastest and turbo) unless I boost the voltage by at least 0.1V. I can hit 144 fsb if I go to +0.2V. I haven't pushed it any more because I'm not sure what's considered safe range for this setting. Can someone point me to the actual specs for this somewhere or are there any? I don't want to fry my memory.

Back