• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this be any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-J-

Registered
what do you think about this design??

i dont have a mill, so i figured out this design would be cheap and easy to make.

4.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

i dont know about cheap, but it looks like you could make it yourself with just a drill pres :0 and it looks tight hope it worls for you :)

anyone else getting red x's?

It's prob my schools crappy internet connection

Last edited:
Looks very swiftech. I think you may benefit from a thinner base... IF the divits are 2mm deep, you might want to try a 3.5mm or 3mm base.

-J- said:
oh, i though this kind of block used thick bases.

BTW, yeah, its very swiftech, thats the idea :p
The usually do... But it really depends on what you are gonna do with the block, ie., pelt or not, Pentium or AMD etc. Swiftech's new block I think uses a 1/2" base, maybe it's 9mm but anyway it is very thick. For an AMD CPU I would try a thin base like I mentioned and have the inlet right over the core...

I think the center piece is unnecessary, and what about cutting between each dimple to connect them
WB45352.jpg

I do not know that much about building water blocks, but it would make sense to me to have the water touching more of the block, so that you have more surface area....just a thought?

JML, the problem is that i dont have lots of tools.

the idea of working on acrilyc instead of Cu or Brass, is that is way more easy to work with the tools i got (a drill with some accesories)

i started with a design pretty similar to the one u did, but cant make the big hole in the top piece.

PS: im using this on a AXP. i will try it first with the 2mm bumps, then with 3.5mm bumps. and see wich one goes better.

nice to see some nice renderings, what prog did you use? if you want a mill setup, you dont have to spend big bux. i have a drillpress, so i bought a milling table, form ebay for 100 bux (including shipping), 20 endmills for 40 bux, and 52 pc clamping kit for 25. yuo dont need the clmaping kit, but makes life easier, a bolt and square nut will substitute well, and you probobly dont need 20 endmills, so you will be able to get a single one for 5 bux or so. so you could have a rudementary setup for about 110 bux. drill presses arent designed for side loads, so you might end up busting the bearings in your press if you do it hard and long enough.

one thing u might try is with the tube going from the top carrying the water right to the center of waterblock make it cone shape so its wider at the bace then at the top might work to help heat transfer

athlonnerd, i used 3d studio max 4.2 , not exactly meant for this, but well, it works pretty good 4 me. :p

fatman, wouldnt a bigger tube reduce the flow after the water hits the base ? as far as i know, this kind of setups need really high flow rates.

mmm making the acrilyc body 2cm tall instead of 4cm tall will have any performance drop??

because im having some difficulties finding such a thick acrilyc block.

well, the new block will be something more like this one, same conecpt, but a little less taller.

11.jpg

althought it really looked nicer when it was taller :(

that'l still work i think, but you might angle the barbs/pipes towards eachother, there will be quite a bit of flow restriction wiht the water having "to do a sharp 180"

Back