• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange DIMM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
I have a DIMM (not a SIMM) that is labelled "128MB ECC DIMM" It will NOT fit in a standard SDRAM slot, because the last notch (not the one near the middle of the DIMM) is slightly different than a standard DIMM.

If this makes sense, and you can tell me why this DIMM is different, I would appreciate your input!

cw

it looks like it only accepts ECC ram....but i thought those had no physical differences? only an extra row of 1's and 0's ?

RAM CHIPS:

SEC KOREA 822
KM44V16104BS-6
uwc471ba

Across the DIMM, there are 9 chips (horizontally) across the "back" on the DIMM, and 9 chips (horizontall) across the front, with 2 smaller chips running vertically in the center of the DIMM.

Same amount of "pins" as a regular DIMM, but if you put it on top of a regular DIMM, the notch is just a bit more towards the edge of the goofy DIMM in question.

ECC RAM must have 9 chips, as the extra chip adds the extra bit req for ECC...

here is jedec spec for ECC SDRAM RAM

http://www.jedec.org/download/pub21/4_5_7-R9.PDF

and as for the pin you are talking about moved over, i cant seem to see anything that would mention that....
but any chance was that pulled out of a Compaq Server or some big OEM?

If you're refering to the notch near the end, not the one in the middle, then according to my motherboard manual that notch placement differentiates between "Unbuffered" (closest to the middle of the DIMM) "Buffered", or "RFU" (notch closest to the end of the DIMM). What RFU is well.... your guess is at least as good as mine.

addendum: If ANUS gets their site running properly anytime soon I'll see if I can download a copy of my manual and then send you the page that that info was on just incase I didn't explain myself clearly enough (which I probably didn't). If ANUS gets their site fixed so I can download....

Last edited:
eobard said:
If you're refering to the notch near the end, not the one in the middle, then according to my motherboard manual that notch placement differentiates between "Unbuffered" (closest to the middle of the DIMM) "Buffered", or "RFU" (notch closest to the end of the DIMM). What RFU is well.... your guess is at least as good as mine.

addendum: If ANUS gets their site running properly anytime soon I'll see if I can download a copy of my manual and then send you the page that that info was on just incase I didn't explain myself clearly enough (which I probably didn't). If ANUS gets their site fixed so I can download....

Hope you get your ANUS fixed. :rolleyes:

It seems to me to be a 128Mb ECC RFU, 5v DIMM. I have as good a chance selling this in the classifieds as I would listing a fully automatic weapon for sale.

Ah well.

cw823 said:
Hope you get your ANUS fixed. :rolleyes:

It seems to me to be a 128Mb ECC RFU, 5v DIMM. I have as good a chance selling this in the classifieds as I would listing a fully automatic weapon for sale.
Ah well.

were did you pull that stick from?

oh and if you do list that fully auto, drop me a line 1st :D

DUNNO. Looks like this thing is out of a MAC. Suppose anyone around here has any use for it?

Back