• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water allover inside of case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2364

Hey I have read a lot of posts of ppl who have had huge leaks, and stuff were thier coolents ended up alll over thier components, but nearly every one of them said that they did not loose any of thier components, how is this possible, i thought that things were ruined like instantly when water or any other liquuids where spilled on them...

if you use ionized water (non distileD) and have your mahchine on while leak testing, you will lose your stuff.

Just because something gets wet doesnt mean it will be ruined. I accidently bathed the entire bottom portion of my mobo in water and water wetter and it worked fine. However, I was careful not to turn it on right away, i used my air compressor to blow all of the water out from under the chips and pci slots. And I made sure it was completly dry before powering up. I did loose my BIOS settings, but nothing that cant be fixed with a CMOS reset.

I once had water (once again with waterwetter) drip on my graphics card. That caused my computer to crash. The time that it took to fix the leak (forgot to put hose clamp on wb) the card had dried out and was usable again.

Water is most dangerous when it has minerals in it, such as ordinary tap water. When the tap water dries, these minerals are left behind and may short circuit computer parts.

Pure H2O (DeIonized or Distilled are good choices) is a verry bad conductor of electricity, enough that your 120vac house current can easily pass through it, but not enought to cause too much damage with the 12-15vdc your motherboard uses. Minerals in Tap water make tap water a much better conductor of electricity, and this is one reason why you should avoid tap water.

So if you use Distilled or DeIonized water (Filter your water if you must use tap) and a bit of common sense and your components will be just fine.

my GForce3 and my 8KHA+ and my old AMD 2400+ was soaked when I try to fill up my resevior too fast didnt realize it was full and it flooding my case.

My GForce3 Card worked after I dried it but die after 3 days. The OC gods still want to take it away so I humbly offer it as a sacrifise.

My Epox 8KHA+ and 2400+ is still live a kicking, never show a sign of weakness.

Back