• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slower memory in faster motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeff8428

Registered
I am thinking about upgrading my motherboard, but I don't want to spend the cash to upgrade my memory. I am wondering if I buy a mb that takes 2700 or higher ddr can I use my ddr 2100 in it until I can afford the newer memory. I am sure it would only run as 2100 but wondering if it will work at all . Thanks

You can tell memory to go at any speed you feel like- the question is, will it bow to your desires :D

Since you have an xp2000, it probably wont be an issue if its not unlocked- pci wil limit as much of ram.

However, I really dont reccomend it- therse mabe a 20 bux price difference, mind as well spend it 130 now then 100now and 130 later.

Already have 512 meg of 2100 DDr thats why I was trying to use it until I can afford more

nealric said:
You can tell memory to go at any speed you feel like- the question is, will it bow to your desires :D

Since you have an xp2000, it probably wont be an issue if its not unlocked- pci wil limit as much of ram.

However, I really dont reccomend it- therse mabe a 20 bux price difference, mind as well spend it 130 now then 100now and 130 later.

i totally agree my memory is holding me back right now my next purchase will be for pc 2700 or pc 3200 and an Abit kD7 or NF7 which sould help me tons oh and an unlocking kit from crazypc or somewhere else

Sure, it'll work, but you will not be able to run aggressive settings. But, if you're on a tight budget, then that will get you by until you can afford faster RAM.

who says he won't be able to run more agressive timings? you'll just have to try it out an see. yea i know he has pny but i've been a semi-pny fan boy every since i got my 256mb stick of pny 2100 running @ 150MHZfsb cas2 with all that other stuff as low as it can go. i can't wait o upgrade to a mobo w/ a 1/5 divider so i can see what it's really made of.

exactly what i am doing at the moment - waiting for a good deal on pc3200 to come around while i am running on pc2100........no big deal - i haven't changed my sig but i am not overclocking at the moment, just running a 133 fsb (266 mhz).......

Back