• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1000 $ to build an intel p4... wich mobo ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cozmo_d

Hey need a lil help here...
Need a Good Intel p4 based mobo 533 fsb
Wich mobo & chipset should I use from abit

realy dont want intagrated anything Ie: Sound/Vidio
unless theres no way around it

Gona install

Leadtek G force 4 4400 or 4600
512 mb DDR
dvd rom
dvd burner
40 gig Hd
antec 1080 case/430v PS

need a good stable/Proven mobo

Last edited:
do you already have all the parts but the motherboard? if not then seriously consider dell. as long as you dont want to overclock they can offer you some decent parts at a price you couldnt get if you went to buy them yourself.

well I thought of that Dell/Compaq

But I realy hate too suggest to my friend to buy Compaq or Dell
when I would buy it myself...

Been there done that never going back

Realy I need a solid intell mobo for P4 2.4/2.2 533 buss

Just not sure wich Abit intell/chipset or the mobo model to get or if maybe I should use Asus ?

Last edited:
IT7 MAX OR MAX2 V2 ?? Looking good

any other suggestions @ or under 100 $ that are comprable to max 2 ?

dang so many good choices
TH7II-RAID this looks good but never used Rimm/rambus
also wondering about rimm v ddr
& socket 423 v 478... What should I use ??

Is rimm more expensive than ddr ?
also who has good rimm modules ?

Last edited:
svenrune said:
I think the BE7-R is a great board.
But if you got the money i say go for the IT7 max2 v2.

Cozmo_D hugs---------------> Svenrune

Thx for the reply man Im trying to learn real fast about these Intell products

rimm
ddr
socket this socket that

I might go with that be7 its about 50 bucs cheaper

Tis not my money building for friend but still trying too stay reasonable

Any more Input is greatly welcomed
especialy concerning the differant sockets & rimm v ddr
price/preformance ?

Im assuming rimm is more expensive ??

Last edited:
I love the TH7-II, however I see you are going for the 533Bus version. The TH7 II officially doesn't support that. Why get yourself into trouble if you can avoid it ;)

Well I decided on

IT7 MAX2 v 2.0 with the multimedia interface = Sweet
Crucial 2700 DDR 1 Gig
2.4 P4 socket 478 533 mhz fsb
Leadtek a250td 128ddr g-force ti4400
Antec plus 1080AMG case/PS-430v
40 gig wd hd
dvd burner ----->(not sure of mfg yet) ???
dvd rom ----->(not sure of mfg yet) ???

I have the hd/ FloppyDrive
the pentium comes with a stock heatsink & fan that should be up to snuff for this user, most cabeling is supplied, might have to get 1 or 2 cables, it all shakes down to around 1500$ give or take 50/100$

Have I forgot anything ?
Any suggestions ?
Any one see any problems ?
will it run ?? :eek:

I could skimp a lil & save alot like use a P4 2.2, a radion 8500le 128ddr,Crucial 512mb instead of a gig this would save roughley 270$ but be very close in preformance I belive what ya think ?

Jirnsum said:
A gig is a LOT of memory....

Ya I been trying to tell the guy im building it for that 1 gig is realy un-nessicary

he thinks that if hes going to be burning alot of dvd's
he needs a gig

I figure @ best he might burn 1 dvd a week :) if that!

im going to insist that we use 512 for his best interest
Unless someone can give me a good reason to put a gig in it

P.S. Im just curiouse why the Intel peeps in this forum are so tight liped

I see many posts in AMD forum where people are asking for the same kind of info that I am... they get many Solid Answers & lots of help but not here ???

This is the first time ive posted in the Intel mobo Forums but realy only 2 people replyed out of many views ? thx too the 3 that did take a min to post.

Not too come off sounding like a prick but why dosent any of the hot shot Intel guys kick down some Info ?
What gives ???:(

I asked many real world questions but none answer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I been reading OC'S Forums for many years but stayed in the AMD side of things I alwayes brag about this forum & theres lots of great folks here that alwayes help... Maybe im just too impatient... but I realy thought the Intel guys would be more helpfull Maybe I asked the wrong Questions

Last edited:
Speaking for myself. I am in Europe, and the questions you posted came on in the middle of the night, or when I was at work.

You posted a lot of things after one another.People need time to read it :p

The first time a posted a reply was the first time I even saw your post, and it seems you already had your system together (although I hope my comment was useful)

-IT7 MAX2 v 2.0 with the multimedia interface No comment, as I do not use it. There are other people here with experience with this board. It sounds nice though
-Crucial 2700 DDR 1 Gig, As I said, it is a LOT
-2.4 P4 socket 478 533 mhz fsb, Sweet
-Leadtek a250td 128ddr g-force ti4400, I use the ti4200 MyVivo version of this card. Works smoothly
-Antec plus 1080AMG case/PS-430v, Good choice. Looks nice
-40 gig wd hd. No probs with wd. 7200 or 5400 (with 7200 consider cooling it). Are you gonna use an 8MB cache version?
-dvd burner ----->(not sure of mfg yet) ??? No experience yet. Still a bit expensive IMO
-dvd rom ----->(not sure of mfg yet) ??? Using a Samsung SD-616F: not too expensive, works fine

I hope I altered your impression of the Intel people somewhat :p

Hey Jirnsum I know man im very Impatient

Well I dont realy have it all together just yet the case & mobo are on the way

Still wondering about RDRAM v DDR wich is better ?
Is RD more expensive ?
Who makes good RD Modules ?

also wondering would a 9500 pro be better in this system over that gf 4400 ti ?

Im gona go do some research

Here's my two cents to try and help ya out. If the person you are building for has no use for overclocking or messing with memory timings, then there are a lot of mobos made by Intel themselves that would be good choices and may just be more trustworthy in the long run. For example, Abit has had a lot of bad run ins with leaky caps that render the mobo useless until repaired. I believe there is an article on the front page here on the subject.
Definately talk him into just 512Mb of memory, they can always add more later as an upgrade. Don't choose a board with integrated sound or video, it's just a waste of money because the cards are much better. Integrated lan may be an exception. Hope that helps a little.

Sounds like you are having fun with this ........

Building a new system right now is tricky, Lots of choices.
good board from what I hear PS2??
You have no choice with that board you use DDR .
That chip is good.
NVIDIA is better In my opinion.
512 is the perfect amount for xp unless you are a video movie maker using premier.

Good luck

mmmmm, i'd say go with the radeon, that way your friend will have a card that is somewhat future-proofed beacuse it supports dx.9
Aboout the mobo, why not the bd7II? Its cheap, supports has a 533 fsb and is a good all round peformer.
Also, defenitley go for DDR.

A few suggestions

Well I think the best board right now if you are not going granite bay is the Abit It7 max 2 ver 2 board. As far as cpus I would go with a 2.4ghz c stepping from PCNut or ATA.com to make sure I was getting the c stepping. I would buy a better ddr like Corsair xms 3500 then you could still use it if you upgrade later to prescott or something. I think the G4 4200 is an excellent choice for the video card if you dont need the latest and greatest. I would overclock it to 4600 speeds. Also I would overclock the cpu to 3ghz it should do this if you get good air cooling like an Alpha Pal 8242. I would get a bigger hard drive like 80 gb with the 8mb cashe. As far as dvd rom and burner is concerned I would just go with the lite on and save money. Hope this helps if you have any questions pm me.

Here's my $0.02

Rdram is faster, more expensive, and no longer supported by intel. DDR is cheaper, overclocks better, and is supported and will be supported by both intel and AMD for years to come.

The performance difference is small. And DDR is quickly catching up.

As far as the setup you chose... good... but I would get a couple sticks of faster ram and try to run it asynchronously. For example, a pair of Corsair XMS PC3500 cas2 modules. Run it at a 3:4 fsb:mem ratio. If you get the cpu to 150fsb, that gives you 200mhz on the memory bus. at that speed, this ram will run at a bandwidth of about 3100, wheras the fastest rdram has a bandwidth of about 4200. Most RDRAM is considerably slower.
In addition, intel is coming out with lines of dual DDR boards that almost double the bandwidth. So when it comes time to upgrade, you may be able to use the same memory.

i never thought i'd say this, but DDR is the better investment in the long run.
I use the TH7ii board, and now that dual channel ddr is out, rdram boards are not appealing anymore.
you can use your old cheap ddr memory on these boards when these boards get cheaper.
hell, it might even be a good investment now so that you don't have to upgrade later.

Back