• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling rdram....Active or Insane?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gruvin2

Just upgraded my setup and have a question on cooling.

P4 2.53
Asus P4T533
512mb Samsung 1066 32ns
G4 Ti4600

All stock atm...looking to watercool the cpu.

What about my rdram....was looking into active cooling ..like TT one for example ..

At what point do i need to worry about cooling my rdram, and what will suffice to keep it running smoothly if I crank-up the fsb?

Educate me please!

It's generally not very useful to cool memory. In my view, the 'solution' that thermaltake offers is laughable with it's dinky fan.

Your ram comes with heatspreaders; I'd simply take a look at case ventilation. If you have decent airflow over the board and the modules, then you should not have to worry about ram temperature. On the P4T533, a top blowhole is nice- air will flow over the ram nicely. Having an intake on the bottom front is a good combo. Do note that you will need case fans for airflow when the CPU fan is replaced by a waterblock. Have fun.

I've had good success by using a side blowhole fan pointed directly at my Samsung PC800 RDRAM. Prior to adding the fan, I could only reach 125-128 FSB using the 4X setting, but after adding the fan I was able to hit 133 FSB at the 4X setting (1066 MHz). However, I think it was partly due to the fan also cooling the DRCG chips, but I think RAM cooling helped too. I got a 3 degree drop in RDRAM temps using 128 meg modules. I suspect the larger modules will generate even more heat. Here is a link to an old thread where I discussed all of this.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=73334

THanks for the input...trying to decide where i can get a fan blowing on it.
I have my 2 intakes at bottom and 1 outtake at top rear(since heat rises)
But where oh where can i get a fan cooling that heatsink? Lian Li PC7usb..no topmount (

Back