• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just bought the Abit IT7, not the Max2 but the original IT7 is it good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Powered

The place I purchase the mobo didn't carry the new IT7 Max2, all they had was the original IT7 mobo.

What is the difference between the two mobo? Did I make the right choice? Are there any overclocking setbacks with the first IT7 vs the Max2?

Any help is appreciated, thanx!

The diffrences between the Max and the Max2 are minor. The Max2 added back in the PS2 mouse and k/b ports, and I believe reduced the RAID controller from 4 channels to 2. Both are 845e boards, and both are top notch overclockers. Many still swear by the original Max as the best board.

There is however now an IT7 Max2 v2. This is a different board, and carries the 845pe chipset. These don't seem to be quite the performers the earlier two boards are, but are still a very fine product. The nice feature of 845pe boards is they add a 4:5 fsb:memory ratio where 845e's only give you 1:1 and 3:4. But in the end you need to find good enough ram to run 3:4 on either chipset if you want top performance.

I think you will like your board a lot, especially if you've got top quality ram.

larva said:
The diffrences between the Max and the Max2 are minor. The Max2 added back in the PS2 mouse and k/b ports, and I believe reduced the RAID controller from 4 channels to 2. Both are 845e boards, and both are top notch overclockers. Many still swear by the original Max as the best board.

There is however now an IT7 Max2 v2. This is a different board, and carries the 845pe chipset. These don't seem to be quite the performers the earlier two boards are, but are still a very fine product. The nice feature of 845pe boards is they add a 4:5 fsb:memory ratio where 845e's only give you 1:1 and 3:4. But in the end you need to find good enough ram to run 3:4 on either chipset if you want top performance.

I think you will like your board a lot, especially if you've got top quality ram.

Thanx for the very informative post, you have answered my question(s)

Again, thanx!

regards

There are a couple of other differences. The max2 is not made by Abit (I've heard) it's a contract build. The Raid setup is also only for Serial ATA, not regular ATA, you'll probably need a converter.

I am running an IT7, as well as 3 TH711s, and I really like them. But the IT7 O/Cs better.

steve

Back