• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comments from Waterblock Sponsorship thread.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thnx, still tweaking it a bit, also it should be made sticky soon. I'm hoping a block maker will put it to use soon too 8)

peace.
unloaded

Doh! I forgot this part:
The request must be only for a wb whose construction is complete.
Lets avoid the situation of 'funding something that is not made, and for
whatever reason is not completed.

I'll edit to include it, could you plz edit yours too Ben? Sorry bout that, but like I said, we are still tweaking it a bit. Thnx for bringing it to my attention.

peace.
unloaded

Edited.

I can wait until Cathar's block has been evaluated... I'll have a better chance then!:D

hmm . . .
interesting choice of words . . .

"fallen under" ?
as contrasted with say . . . risen to ??

indeed, no need to worry at all about where you stand

be cool

Just having a bit of fun with words Bill.

Still grappling with the realisation that I am effectively "commercial". No objections, just that the sub-conscious hasn't caught on yet. ;)

oh ?

I was referring to those velcro shoes you fellows use 'down under'

be cool

I disagree with the limit of $60. The limit should be decided by the sponsors. If people want to donate $80, then so be it.

Personally, I feel that If a DIY'er is willing to pay for shipping and forgo his creation for a few weeks, He's done enough. If people feel that $80 is too much, then the pledging will simply stop at the amount that they feel is right. The DIY'er can complete the pledge on his behalf at any amount he feels is appropriate.

I think we should be doing what we can to encourage people to submit their block. Posing unnessasary limits can only serve the opposite.

If a sponsored block wins the monthly contest (or whatever), then the sponsors get to choose a different block to forward their sponsorship. At no time should sponsorship money be returned to the sponsor. I think it would be too much hassle mailing $5 and $10 bills out to everyone involved. Plus this would keep the money where it's needed most.

There was no mention of minimum limits for sponsors, which is good. I plan on just sticking a $5 or $10 bill in an envelope with my name and the name of the block I'm sponsoring, then mailing it to whoever is in charged

I also think we need to specify a maximum time limit for each pledgedrive (one month), after which either the DIY'er forwards the remander or the sponsors redirect their money to another block. At no time is sposorship money returned (for reasons mentoned above)

Now I don't know how possible this next bit is, but I think it would help if we could have a small picture of each block being pledged on, put on the front page with a small bar graph under each picture showing total pledges received. The more visible we make this, the better

So that's about it for my opinions and ideas. Just kidding, I have millions. Let me know if you want some more.

Freeloader said:

If a sponsored block wins the monthly contest (or whatever), then the sponsors get to choose a different block to forward their sponsorship. At no time should sponsorship money be returned to the sponsor. I think it would be too much hassle mailing $5 and $10 bills out to everyone involved. Plus this would keep the money where it's needed most.

In the scenario described in the originating thread, the hassle of returning money to sponsors would be placed on the winner of the contest. Many people could do this with paypal which is not too big a deal. I don't think this is too much to ask of those benefitting from sponsorship of their block. Also, I suspect any other scenario would place a lot more accounting burden on Bill than he would want.

If a contestant is unwilling to return sponsorship money, he is welcome to refuse sponsorship from those who expect their money to be returned in the event the block wins.

Freeloader said:

There was no mention of minimum limits for sponsors, which is good. I plan on just sticking a $5 or $10 bill in an envelope with my name and the name of the block I'm sponsoring, then mailing it to whoever is in charged

The plan described, was for people to Paypal their sponsorship to a Paypal account. I think it should be up to the person receiving the funds, whether or not they want to receive funds any other way. Paypal leaves an electronic trail for easy recordkeeping.

If I was a winner, I wouldn't want to send out 60 $1 payments. So I can see a contestant refusing to take sponsorship of less than $5 if he must return it if he wins. In any case, I think this should be left between contestants and sponsors.

Freeloader said:

I also think we need to specify a maximum time limit for each pledgedrive (one month), after which either the DIY'er forwards the remander or the sponsors redirect their money to another block. At no time is sposorship money returned (for reasons mentoned above)

I agree with this. If within a month after posting in the sponsorship thread, a contestant hasn't reached a level of sponsorship that enables him to submit his block, he should withdraw his sponsorship request (delete the text of his post), and release any sponsors who have made a pledge, from their obligation.

Back