• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to self tap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

athlonnerd

Does anyone know if npt thread is designed such that it will self tap give the right diameter hole? I’m looking to insert several barbs in quite a few blocks, aluminum. I’m not realy interested in gluing them in or "lathing" the thread down and forcing it in. this is aluminum so it wont solder. If brass npt will self tap, at what size hole?

No. it will just strip the threads on the barbs. If your going to make multiple blocks your best bet would be to just buy a tap and bit(they come in a kit sometimes) and tap away.

No it will not self tap as the brass is to soft to cut a thread :( and the hole is tapered (bigger at the top than at the bottom, look closely at the barb you can see it in the depth of the threads)

the first time.. i tried just tring to screw in a brass barb into a piece of aluminum...
i do'nt care wut you do.. you are NOT going to get it in.. lol
just buy the tap... like 4 dollars

Noooooo

Screws won't tap themselves into copper... Have you ever tried to screw anything into a steel block? Copper is a bit softer, but not that much.

NPT taps are hard to find. EBay might be a source, but I really doubt it.

Best bet: call a local machine shop to have them do it for you.

Correction: you can use self-tapping screws. It's a brute force approach, but it's been reported to work.

I've gotten a tap and drill set from Menards. I'd guess Home Depot would carry them as well.

The one I got from Menards seemed to be very low quality though. (Past a certain depth it didn't so much cut the copper as push it out of the way.) I had much better luck after borrowing one from a friend. Sorry, don't know the brand of the good one. I'd say it's worth looking into who makes high quality taps and getting one though.

You're tapping aluminum though right? Cheap tap would probably be ok.

you could try sears website for craftsman if you cant find any thing i would try a pluming store first. and if you are going to do alot of holes you get what you pay for

bigben2k said:
Noooooo

Screws won't tap themselves into copper... Have you ever tried to screw anything into a steel block? Copper is a bit softer, but not that much.

NPT taps are hard to find. EBay might be a source, but I really doubt it.

Best bet: call a local machine shop to have them do it for you.

Actually NPT taps are easy to find, here they are at least. Home depot or Lowes should have them even little hardware stores like ACE, True value... I buy all my taps locally except big millimeter size. Anything over M12 is impossible to get a hold of.

Home Depot DOES have NPT taps, but a limited selection. I do beleive they carry the 1/4" NPT though, as if I remember correctly, thats where I got mine :)

Since87 said:
I've gotten a tap and drill set from Menards. I'd guess Home Depot would carry them as well.

MENARDS!?!?!? you must be from indiana........gotta love menards, they just had a 20% off sale on all dremel tools and accesories.....

Back