• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seeking mobo advice (high fsb needed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Igor01

Registered
I have bought a 1.6A P4 that can do 2928MHz w/ 1.67v (1.7 is what the BIOS says)....It runs @ 183FSB and is reported to run at 188 too.

So I need a mobo and RAM that can handle these speeds reliably, with RAID and firewire. Any info or suggestions are appreciated.

why dont you get the same kinda mobo that it was on before if all things worked right ?

you can try the abit IT7 MAX board or the MAX serise boards... they are said to be really good. or you can get an asus P4PE board.. the abit MAX series do have firewire aswell, not too sure aobut the P4PE

with memory id go with corsair XMS 3500.. seems to be the mem of choice for overclockers here. Very good ram may i add

i also go to canadacomputers for stuff.. another store would be ICCT umm the link is www.icct.ca ( prices rnt updated on the site usualy ) they have pretty good prices as does canadacomputers. If your in the GTA area, see if you can pick yourself up a copy of Toronto Computes or the Computer Paper . i have found them really good for comparing prices of different stores in the GTA. I have started shopping at www.pcvillagecanada.com because there is one close by me, and so its pretty convienient, and the prices arent too bad

You can buy the ABIT IT7-Max2.It can handle up to 220 fsb.As for memory you can also try the Geil 433 ddr Cas2.

Igor01 said:
I have bought a 1.6A P4 that can do 2928MHz w/ 1.67v (1.7 is what the BIOS says)....It runs @ 183FSB and is reported to run at 188 too.

So I need a mobo and RAM that can handle these speeds reliably, with RAID and firewire. Any info or suggestions are appreciated.
With that kind of extreme FSB speed I think you'd do best to get a Granite Bay board. The Asus P4G8X Deluxe has shown itself in reviews to be a very good overclocker (up to 190-195MHz FSB). If you slapped your 1.6A in one you'd enjoy 5.76GB/s memory bandwidth (180MHz FSB). It's not cheap but that'd be the best board for a CPU that can reach a FSB speed like yours can.:)

lgor01:

Epox-4PEAEI, not Epox-4PEA+ , nor Epox-4PEA.
The board has only 2 DIMMs, but it can go upto FSB220MHz,
and Any DDR400 with Winbond BH-5 chips.

In your case, 16x180 and Memory at 180/3x4=240(push Vdimm
at2.9V, 2- 5- 3- 2) is quite possible. Or you can left memory at 1:1 and push
your 1.6A as highest as possible.
:p

Back