• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

230MHz FSB in a IT7-MAX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oki

Registered
Yes, 230MHz FSB in an IT7-MAX

Yes, it is not difficult. I am writting from a system with a semilocked CPU (I can only lower the multi) and this P4 is now running at 14x230MHz = 3.20GHz cooled with a simple AVC Sunflower and with the retail cooling over the MCH (northbridge).
The CPU voltage is working at 1.6V and of course I am using a GEIL PC3500 module CL2 (2-7-3-3), the best memory module I've ever seen, so far. It is a pleasure seeing a processor FSB overclocked from 533MHz to 920MHz, and it is obvious that Intel is going to jump soon to a quad pumped 800MHz FSB if a simple combination of a B0 stepping CPU and a 845E chipset can reach speeds higher than that with a rock solid stability.

I am very happy with this motherboard now that it fully supports jackson technology with Hyper threaded P4. My next motherboard will be one with an Intel Springdale chipset (dual channel DDR) or maybe I'll change again to AMD if Hammer is good enough. But It won't be soon, now the IT7 is the best without any doubt.

Oki

Last edited:
Semilocked processor

My processor seems to be able to work with clock multipliers under the official multiplier but not higher. That is not a problem because for a good overclocker, it is only interesting lowering the multi in order to have a higher FSB limit.

regards
Oki

Kbird,

If your processor is not completely locked and your memory module is good enough, of course you can run it at 15x160MHz and with lower multipliers and higher FSB clock speed. THe real problem is that most of the processors are completely locked, but not all.

Oki

I thought all the p4s are locked? I'm up for anything and tried right after I read your post. The computer just rebooted and I'm back to my old settings. How do I know whether my processor is locked or not, and can't you get the same performance with good divider selection without going down?

Kbird,

This is the second processor I have with this feature, I think there should be more of this semilocked processors out there, maybe is a failure in the locking process. Of course with the default divider, the limit is imposed by the processor and the voltage. You don't get the same memory bandwith but the resulting processor speed is the same. 16x150 = 15x160, the only difference is the mem BW.

Regards
Oki

I need to see some wcpuid's showing the different multipiers in windows before I believe a semi-unlocked processor.

Maybe Intel has just unlocked their P4s and nobody's found out about it yet - heh!

I am very skeptical that Intel they would do this - but I'll do a check on each of the 4 rigs I have.

Oki, you say you are running 230 fsb, so what is your ram running at, DDR613 at 3:4????

Nope, My DDR is running 1:1 at 2.9V. Now the bottleneck is again the memory or maybe the MCH because changing the CL to 2.5 does not help. I'll post some WCPUID screenshots for people like Natedog.

Regards
Oki

So Oki, which CPUs are semi-locked as you say, 2.40bs? 2.53bs? How recently did you get them? What are the week, pack date, and location?

And you say you are running a BO stepping at 3.2 gig????

Back