• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neutralizing my coolant ????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeXenViRii

i had some heatercore diposits and after reading some archived posts i found that i could use vinegar to clean things up . i dissconnected everything and made a simple loop from the pump to the rad and ran vinegar thru it for 13 hrs changing the vinegar 6 times (it got really cloudy) . afterwards i flushed the system 6 times with distilled water . after that i put everything back the way it was and used a water/antifreeze combo and in a matter to 3 days the coolants color went from green to clear in my system .... so i flushed it and refilled it , same thing in 3 days ... now i tried water/windsheild washer fluid and again 3 days it was clear ... is there leftover vinegar in the heatercore neutralizing my coolant ???

hmmm thats odd... vinegar can turn antifreeze clear? never would have thought that... guess you learn something everyday. :)

do an experiment outside of the WC system to see if vinegar really does turn anti-freeze clear. If so, I would try flushing the system for an extended period of time.

push the ph the other way with baking soda or something (simple green ??)

acid in a WCing system is not a good idea (death to Al)

be cool

DO NOT use baking soda!!! (esspecially if you're running a closed-loop system)
just try putting a little baking soda in a cup, and pour some vinegar on top of it and you'll see why.

Flush your system with just normal tap-water for about 24hrs. A hose stuck to the faucet, continually pushing water through and out the other side into the sink will work just fine for flushing out any left over vinegar. Then close your system up, fill with distilled, let it run for about an hour to clear out the tap-water, then refill with distilled and you'll be fine.

Back