• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

forcing pentium III to 133mhz FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infinitwisdom

Registered
for all you folks out there with the asus p3b-f mobo and a p-III 800e, you can force this chip to run at 133 fsb. i was doing some reading on another website and came across this mod. take the processor card out and look for the side with A1 marked above the pins. count seven pins from the left (pin a-14). cover this pin with some good adhesive tape, making sure to cover ONLY that pin. this will force the cpu to a 133 fsb. i have been running overclocked to 992 mhz using a 124/31 fSB, and still am, but with this mod my system can now run 8 programs at once (one of them being windows media player 9 candidate playing a music video) with no problems, whereas before doing this mod i had trouble running 1 or two programs at once. this vastly increased my systems stability. if you are using a pentium II there is also a pin for that on the oposite side of the card (it's either b-12 or b21 the number is printed on the card). i still have not surpassed the gigahertz plane of existance with this setup, but i am workin the problem. i will keep you posted. for those interested this board uses the i440bx chipset. it is not very tolerant of FSB speeds over 124/31. this mobo's main clock normally runs at 100mhz, thus no processor above 800 mhz will work on this board. my having acheived 992 mhz with it is simply amazing. especially now that it is VERY stable. it is just too bad that intel locks the processors nowadays. maybe someday the way to unlock them will be discovered, as it has been with amd processors. my brother has an amd based system with a bios that does not allow overclocking much of anything. tonight i did some bridge work and got his 950 duron running at 1.09 ghz. his chip will do better, we will be working at it more in the future.

hoping someone will read this and get the same results i did, wisdom.

I'm currently running a P3 800e as well in a Abit BE-6 and have had no problems getting upto 992Mhz with 124(1/4) it will post and run at 124(1/3) but not quite as stable its winter here and I'm considering sitting my PC case by an open window and seeing if it just needs some better cooling to post and run at 133(1/4). I've tried pulling out Ram.. even though its PC133.. so it shouldn't be the problem. There isn't a lot more I can do other than better cooling.. but I'm not one to care now.. within the next few weeks I'll be getting a P4 2.53 and a i845PE Intel blue Mountain2 mobo (yeah.. that intel Promo deal that was around awhile back) Maybe a mobo upgrade within a few months would be nice.. and if people ever figure how to enable HT on P4b's then I'll be laughin! :D

i have my cpu temps running between 78 F and 115 F and even though that is very cool for an oc-d chip it doesnt make enough difference to oc ing it more. my board is a bx board, if yours is also then we have the same problem, the external clock is not tolerant of FSB's of more than 124 as it runs at 100mhz. what is also holding us back is the pci clocks cant be overclocked by much, if you do it wont post. if your mobo has the option of setting the FSB to 129/33 do it, you will breach the gigahertz mark.

i wish i could upgrade to a better mobo and chip, but i am disabled and cannot afford to do this. at the very least i need one or two more hard drives as i am running out of space. i could also use a newer mobo. asus makes the best boards out there, MSI is next in line especially for oc-ers it has tons of oc options built into their boards. MSI makes nvidia video cards as well.

hope this helps, wisdom

Well last night I relaxed my CAS setting to 3 and tried 133(1/4) and it posted the BIOS screen @ 1066 but locked, this has a default HS/FAN on it still so I'm thinking it needs a little something something :D

Yeah Asus has always made good motherboards and Video cards etc. I have an MSI GF3 Ti500 and it runs fine.. but with what I've seen with their motherboards you'd have to pay me to use one. I'll stick with Asus, Abit or Giga-Byte for my motherboards.

Back