• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3200 on a DDR2700 Mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hybrid

Registered
My cousin wanted me to post and ask what would happen if you used PC3200 DDR Memory on a Mobo that only supports up to DDR2700. A guy told him it would fry his mobo, but Im thinking it would just run it at 2700.

Thanks =).

Oddly, I just tried a stick of pc3200 DDR on a Asus p4s533, It posted and it ran at the default configuration... the second I went to overclock it, it wouldnt post at the speed that my pc2100 ran at... Im puzzled and trying to figure out how to overclock with that ram..The stick i got was a genuine samsung 512mb and oddly the pc2100 was a Kingston 512mb, as far as I know though it will work under default settings. The guy that said it would fry his motherboard is a newb I get people like that every day where I work and I just try to avoid them.

;)

So it will run just fine at 2700? I dont think my cousin will be overclocking any , but theres a slim chance he might.

Thanks =)

haha the knucklehead who i bought my motherboard (asus p4pe) from scolded me and told me that pc3200 ram would not work on my board. i looked him square in the eyes and said "Sir I think you are wrong" took my money for the ram elsewhere and my rig runs pc3200 ram at the supported 333mhz np. look all over these threads and you will see dudes running ram on boards that only support pc2700.

of course this may be motherboard dependent, I am new at this but like i said look around. many are doing just what your cousin asks. I would suspect proper airflow cooling is important but that goes without saying doesnt it?

Hehe thanks for the info, Ill tell my cousin. =)

ive been thinking about some pc3200 myself just to have the overhead (note: my bad experience with the samsung pc2700 in a previous thread)

Back