• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit ST6-R not running with 4:4:1 setting with Tualatin 1.4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chrisu

Registered
Hi. I've got a big problem with my Abit St6-R. When I set in BIOS the 4:4:1 setting my computer won't start at all. When I put back my old CPU (Cel 800) 4:4:1 setting works well.
There is another problem. When I'm setting the user settings for CPU the multiplier for CPU is shown as 7.5.
What's going on? Is that problem with my my motherboard or maybe with CPU?
I've tried with every BIOS from 6a to 9p.
Thanks for help...

Last edited:
Hi

The multiplier is of no importance. Since the cpu is multiplier locked this bios setting is ignored during boot. Just disable 'cpu detect' or you will have a break during booting.

The 4:4:1 should be clock for cpu:ram: pci. Since pci is nominal at 33, this will mean 133:133:33. So pci divider is 4.

The 1400 celeron is for 14x100. It is not likely that it will do 14x133. By setting 4:4:1 this should mean that fsb gets 133.
Select 3:3:1 and it will run nominal. Then pci divider is 3.
You mention that celeron 800 will do 4:4:1. Since 8x133=1064 MHz, this is very likely to boot. But I should think that cpu voltage should be increased to about 1.85 volt then (for that cpu).
For the celeron 1400 you must never run with more than 1.7 volt during long time, since nominal voltage is 1.475 volt.

Your st6 raid should be capable of posting with correct speed. But a program like cpuid can be used for showing real speed.

Max. usable speed for a celeron 1400 is a frontbus of about 112 MHz. It will then do 1570 MHz. Pci will then run 37 MHz, and it is not wise to increase fsb more with this divider setting, since harddisks may fail.
One can try if setting 133:133:1, that is a pci divider of 4., and fsb to 124. Then pci runs 31 MHz, and the cpu will make 124x14. That is about the fastest with air cooling.

The celeron tualatin 1100 is a better candidate for fsb 133, and even 150. So it can make a much faster system than the celeron 1400.

best regards

John

Thanx John

But I think you didn't understand me.
I need this setting because I want to give my CPU more than 112 FSB That's why I need 4:4:1 setting. Now I'm running @FSB 110 (36 MHz for PCI).
My old CPU (cel800) ran even @FSB150 (full stable, 4:4:1 of course ;) ), and the highest FSB I didn't have to increase voltage was 135 . When I bought new CPU (CelT1400) I couldn't set 4:4:1 because my computer didn't want to start (Black screen). I put back my old CPU because someone said me that 4:4:1 setting works only with Higher FSB (eg. 120). So I put it back and 4:4:1 setting worked even with FSB 100 (25MHz for PCI).
I'm not the first person whose computer can't run with 4:4:1 setting with Cel tualatin.
I tried to check what is the highest FSB that my CPU can start. It started me once with FSB 135! (but the divider had to be set to 3:3:1; All of the hard drives were disconnected). I hope that it can run @FSB120 but I have to give 4:4:1 setting and then computer wont start :(

Welcome to my st6 won't do 4:4:1 divider below 133 club.

This was a theme of a lot of discussion in the last year. Do a search for the threads.

Basically, some folks st6 will not, under any circumstances, post at 4:4:1 below 133 fsb. Others will. No real reason why some could, and why some could not was ever figured out in those prior threads. Lots of stuff was tried. Search for the threads.

I have one of those st6 that won't allow 4:4:1 divider below 133 fsb (below 133 it won't post, the monitor goes to "sleep" and there is a continous high / low beeping sound. I could never get it do 4:4:1 below 133.

I had a 1.2 in that mobo. Max oc was around 123 fsb. Eventually, I just replaced it was a 1.1a. The 1.1a was a much better ocer. Now I'm running at 141 fsb (140 in the bios) with stock voltage. Will do 149 fsb at 1.65 with complete stability (but higher temps).

The 141 fsb really gives lots more memory bandwidth (10 - 11% more) and the pci / agp runs much more in stock (and stabler).

Good luck. I tried everything in those prior threads to get 4:4:1 below 133 fsb and the st6 I have just wouldn't do it. You might want to put a 1.1a in there (last I look newegg had them for $45 with free shipping).

4:4:1 setting below fsb 133

Hi

Certainly Rayik has some good points here !
It surprises me that st6 raid has this limitation. I thought it was the best tualatin board ever.

I have worked with several Intel 815ep chipset motherboards:

Asus tusl2-c does not allow 1/4 divider below fsb 133, as also not a corresponding motherboard from Msi.

Soyo Tisu obviously does, although I have not got it confirmed from soyo support. Anyway my sons run 13x125 as champ.
I doubt that his soundblaster live and netcard can live with a pci running 42 MHz (his harddisk can maybe stand it).

But abit vh6t has no problems (my current board). It is another chipset. Via 694t that also allows 512 Mbyte ram in each of 3 slots. 815ept only allows 512 Mbyte totally, and most often not in one stick.

best regards

John

Thanx for help :)
Before I wrote this post I've searched for a topic like mine. Now I see I must search better to find it :)
It's strange form me, that Abit makes sth that works with one CPU (eg. my old Cel800) and doesn't work with another (current Tualatin)... Very strange...

tualatin detection

Hi

For asus tusl2-c the bios makes difference for tualatin and coppermine. For coppermine the cpu voltage is adjustable in bios, but for tualatin it is not.

But I have found a modified bios where core voltage is adjustable for tualatin.

The same with pci divider setting. But it is a very advanged task to manipulate that.

It can maybe also be done with the old tools from mr. Oda.
It was 2 program, wpcredit and wpcrset. They can set registers.
But I never found out which register pci and agp divider was. I wanted to change agp divider with the bx chipset. I believe this has never been done, and is maybe prohibited by that chipset.

My advice is: search for a modified bios.

best regards

John

rayik said:
Welcome to my st6 won't do 4:4:1 divider below 133 club.

I have one of those st6 that won't allow 4:4:1 divider below 133 fsb (below 133 it won't post, the monitor goes to "sleep" and there is a continous high / low beeping sound. I could never get it do 4:4:1 below 133.

I had a 1.2 in that mobo. Max oc was around 123 fsb. Eventually, I just replaced it was a 1.1a. The 1.1a was a much better ocer. Now I'm running at 141 fsb (140 in the bios) with stock voltage. Will do 149 fsb at 1.65 with complete stability (but higher temps)..

Running my Abit ST6 with my 1.2Ghz Celeron (tB1 step), I ran into about the same FSB ceiling, around 120Mhz; couldn't get 133FSB or higher. Ram is Micron PC133 CL2.

Then I insulated the BSEL1 pin on the 1.2 Cel. Then booted to 133FSB at 4:4:1 with no problems (WPCPUID reports 134.4 Mhz FSB). YEAH!!! I used nail polish (2 coats) applied using a 30ga wire to 'drip' the polish onto the pin. Of course, you can just break off the pin, but that forces 133FSB - not stable, then you're out of luck.

Back