• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New GPU waterblock [Pics]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G33k

Well, here she is. Almost finished now - just need the perspex lid trimming a little :

image.php

The block's hooked up to an Eheim 1048 there using 3/8" tubing. If you look closely at the picture, you can see the water's spiraling as it exits the block - lots of turbulence in there :D

I'll be writing up the whole process of making the block in the next few days hopefully...

it looks like it kinda speeds the water up
and that is very good work just trim then post a pic so we can see

Thanks for the support :)

The whole thing was made from really simple bits :

50x50x2mm copper plate -> Baseplate
15mm copper pipe (regular central-heating style stuff) -> Flattened and cut to make the ring that surrounds the block
10mm copper pipe + 90 degree elbow -> intake / exhaust manifolds
2mm diameter copper wire -> flattened, cut and bent to form the fins inside
cheap bit 'o perspex -> The top

The base section is all soldered together and the top is attatched with aryldite.

wildbilly2k : I squashed the intake so that it would increase the velocity of the water entering the block - nice idea Cathar ;)

Kewl looking design. To me it looks like the flow is backwards. I guess its coz I'm used to looking at blocks for cpu's where they have the intake above the die. I'd be curious to see how something like that would do on a cpu, testing flow both directions and seeing how they compare. Is that aryldite the uk equivalnt to our JB Weld? I hear a lot of the guys on bit-tech mention using it, I never really asked them for sure, just assumed it was some type of epoxy.

peace.
unloaded

That looks like an impeller, but it doesn't spin.

! If the greatest turbulance in a pumped system must always be at the impeller (that's a law, I believe), shouldn't the heatsink and impeller be the same unit? Just use copper for the impeller case bottom, and secure the motherboard to that!

This has given me an extremly interesting idea. Might be crazy, but why not make the pump and waterbock the same unit. That would indeed provide some hardcore turbulance.

Mikeonatrike said:
This has given me an extremely interesting idea.

It doesn't work that way. You have to denounce me as a fool, then post the idea in another forum.;) Anyway, I'm glad you're interested. I'd be deighted if someone tries an integrated heatsink/pump.

It first occurred to me while I was repairing a washing machine pump. These things have a flat bottom that pops off to reveal an equally flat-bottomed impeller which just skims the flimsy plastic housing. Water enters at the top and exits centrifugally out a 1-1/8" port on the side. Washing machine pumps have a 6" diameter base though - far too big to double as a heatsink. I've been waiting to salvage a suitable smaller pump so I can test the idea.

The only drawback I can see is that you'd mount the motherboard to the pump, not the pump to the motherboard. That's to nullify motor weight, vibration, and starting torque.

Well i cerntainly am interesting in it, and would not mind trying it, i gota little powerhead that just might be perfect with some modding.

Unloaded - Yeah, Aryldite is almost certainly like JBWeld. It's a two part epoxy which sets VERY hard when cured.

I cleaned up the perspex lid now :

Here it is with connectors attatched :

And here it is, installed in my rig :

(Click the images for a larger versions) My temperatures seem to have gone up 5 degrees after adding the new block - methinks it's time I got a new radiator :rolleyes:

very nice man, Im not a fan of those clear tops tho, Aryldite is 2 part epoxy, 5min epoxy for an example,
it looks pretty nice tho

btw, the jet is not in anyway cathars idea, he was just one of the first to put it in computer watercooling for some reason, I dont know why noone else did it till then.....

Back